Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Shhsgirl »

maverick wrote:
My husband and I are going to try to get there.
Wow, that would be great! :nod:

Looking forward to reading your TR from Sept. ;)

Ah, yes, the trip report from September...I'm still working on it! It will get posted as soon as I can format the latest photos I received from one of our party. I am so happy to be able to finish what I had started last year when I ran into you, Oleander, Jimr, and the other gentleman (I'm sorry I can't remember his name) who, I believe, was your IT slave.

Looks like husband, maybe a daughter, and I will do it the "easy" way: Up to TI from Agnew via River Trail, then to meetup, then to Tuolomne via the SHR. This will be plenty difficult for us, and I am really looking forward to it!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I'm shooting for camping on the west end of TI lake under Glacier pass Tues (7/26) evening, so I'll keep my eyes open for any other intrepid hikers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Once again I'm putting this on the calendar and once again I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't have to travel for work at that time again this year (last year I was eating waffles and sipping beer in Brussels, so it's not like I can complain, but still - every year some stupid work trip has overlapped with the meetup). I've never made it back there but it's been high on my todo list for a while. I think I can make a fun loop out of it!
Well Miss R., it would be really great if your j-o-b did not interfere, again, though hanging out in either Brussels or Amsterdam would not have been a bad gig. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

and the other gentleman (I'm sorry I can't remember his name) who, I believe, was your IT slave.
:lol: Jeremy, he is cool.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

He's a class "A" kind of guy. He circles camp like a coyote too :littledevil:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

maverick wrote:
and the other gentleman (I'm sorry I can't remember his name) who, I believe, was your IT slave.
:lol: Jeremy, he is cool.
And smart!
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Will not make this one- I am going to Wyoming for the summer of 2016.

The last time I was at this lake, I diverted from the High Route over the pass quarter mile east-southeast of Pt. 11810. It is a horrible pass - NOT recommended. Seemed like a good short-cut at the time, but I would not do it again. Stay on Forrester Creek and drop to the trail, drop down the trail and then go up the Lyell Fork. Yes, much more distance, but a LOT easier and safer.
This is what we are going to do.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Has anyone ever tried going northwest from Twin Island Lakes to cross just north of Electra Peak to get to the Lyell Fork basin?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Rockyroad
I plan on doing it from Lyell fork to the east as a day hike, sounds like it could be interesting to find the class 2 ledge from above and you would not want to miss it http://climber.org/reports/2002/998.html#day7 part of climbing Electra and Rodgers on the Thursday of the meetup.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
LNT
Topix Newbie

Post by LNT »

maverick wrote:Just a reminder, all HST members are welcome to attend, no matter how long you have been a member. :nod:
.."all HST members are welcome to attend,"

Hard to see how a sixty year old neophyte/lurker could not be a liability but I'm just selfish enough to make this invitation an excuse to sponges as much out of this venerated gathering as I can get away with. I'm in.