Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

Hard to see how a sixty year old neophyte/lurker could not be a liability but I'm just selfish enough to make this invitation an excuse to sponges as much out of this venerated gathering as I can get away with. I'm in.
Very cool, looking forward to meeting you out there. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Splash
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Splash »

First off thanks Maverick for organizing this...I plan on getting there one way or another.. Is it to difficult from Rogers Peak Pass? Reading a few things about it seems tough.. I have been to Marie Lakes so I know how to get that far...Otherwise I will hike up the Lyell Fork either from TM or Mono Meadows...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Splash,

Thank you for considering attending the HST Meet-up!
Cannot really assess your experience level from your posts, but if you do not have solid class 2 x-country pass experience, then go in via LF, and since you have already been to Marie Lakes, you will not be missing a lot, especially since the route in via the LF is spectacular! :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mcgenes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mcgenes »

Hi All,
I just introduced myself on the lurkers thread (finally). I'm planning to attend the meet up this year and will be coming from Mono Meadows. It will be an 8-day loop, counter-clockwise. I did a loop this past summer from Quartz Mountain through Clark Canyon and over Red Peak. I planned to attempt Mt Clark, but I was with an all-or-none group and some were not up to it. We managed to hit Obelisk Lake, which I read about here on HST. Saw one set of footprints up there that probably belonged to one of you! I haven't been to the meet up area yet. Looking forward to meeting many of you this summer.
Cheers,
Marnie
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That's great Marnie looking forward to meeting you, it will be a blast, and most importantly an opportunity to build long lasting friendships with some of your fellow HST members. :)

kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I'm giving this some serious thought, although family plans are still in flux. Last summer before my daughter leaves for college, etc. I got her on the trail to Thousand Island last summer, but this would have to be a solo trip for me.

The entire area of southern Yosemite to the west of the Ritter range is completely new to me, so it seems as if I would greatly benefit from a trip through the area punctuated by the meet up. I have not even been dayhiking anywhere in the region. This could be a perfect opportunity.

So, from you experts, how would this plan work to introduce someone unfamiliar to his part of Yosemite, stopping along the way for the meet up?

Park at Tuloumne, shuttle to Mono Meadows (possible, correct?) Mono Meadows up the long Illouetee to the Merced Pass Lakes. Merced Pass lakes to Ottoway Lakes and the Red Peak Pass. Read Peak Pass over to the Triple Creek Fork and up to the higher trail to the east of Triple Peak Fork. Then north along that trail past Forrester Creek to the Lyell Fork drainage--cross x up to the meet up the drainage and back down a couple nights later. Back on the trail to head for Lewis Creek and Vogelsong Pass. Over Vogelsong and north along Rafferty to get back to Tuolumne Meadows.

Many questions.

1) I've never made Yosemite trailhead reservations. For a through trip, just reserve a slot at Mono Meadows? How difficult to get? How easy would it be to shuttle from TM to Mono Meadows--shuttles go to Glacier Point, I presume, and stop at MM trailhead? Some kind of transfer in the valley? Or should I do this in the other direction. If so, how is parking at Mono Meadows?
2) Will this route show a neophyte the highlights of SW Yosemite? Where should I allow time to stop and explore, and where should I press ahead? How many days? On good trail I will trudge for 12+ hours and make 12+ miles, but prefer shorter days. Suggestions for changes?
3) I am assuming that the cross-x from trail up the Lyell drainage to the meet up is not particularly challenging. I do a little cross country (eg. Many Island/Boundary Lake area in NW Yosemite) but am 80% a trail person--no class 3 and like my class 2 simple, don't tolerate exposure well, etc.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

kpeter wrote: So, from you experts, how would this plan work to introduce someone unfamiliar to his part of Yosemite, stopping along the way for the meet up?

Park at Tuolumne, shuttle to Mono Meadows (possible, correct?) Mono Meadows up the long Illilouette to the Merced Pass Lakes. Merced Pass lakes to Ottoway Lakes and the Red Peak Pass. Read Peak Pass over to the Triple Creek Fork and up to the higher trail to the east of Triple Peak Fork. Then north along that trail past Forester Creek to the Lyell Fork drainage--cross x up to the meet up the drainage and back down a couple nights later. Back on the trail to head for Lewis Creek and Vogelsang Pass. Over Vogelsang and north along Rafferty to get back to Tuolumne Meadows.
All good questions - some thoughts:

IMHO, the best of Yosemite, and an area seldom visited. Yes, there is a shuttle from Valley. IIRC - leaves at 8:30-ish AM from Curry (or the Lodge a bit later), and costs ~$25 each (even though you are going less than 1/2 way - no price break), and gets you to MM around 10:30. You could also drive to/start at the MM TH - room for 10 - 15 cars there, and after the exit (Valley?), then only one has to pay to retrieve the car. (However, IMHO, always best to end any trip, hiking to your car if at all possible.)

As this is a rather late start, from MM, best to plan 2 days to get to/head for Lower Ottoway. (Forget about the Merced Pass Lakes!) FYI, initially this is a rather bleak, unfriendly trail - a bit drab but gets lots better, real soon. There are some good overnight sites once you first hit Illilouette Creek, about 8 -9 miles in - still a long day - BTW, have found the second site (about 1/2 mile past the first Illilouette Creek site) is much better...whatever.

Next day, maybe a half day slog, up to Lower Ottoway - beautiful spots to stay on the far side, but anywhere there will work well...good fishing too. Next day, over RPP and plan to stay at Red Devil the next night - no fish but amazing... views of the Clarks (lots of frogs/tadpoles). From there, many possible places to stay near Triple Peak fork...lots of water everywhere - no rushing through here, and down eventually to the Lyell fork and the meet-up.
kpeter wrote: Many questions.

1) I've never made Yosemite trailhead reservations. For a through trip, just reserve a slot at Mono Meadows? How difficult to get? How easy would it be to shuttle from TM to Mono Meadows--shuttles go to Glacier Point, I presume, and stop at MM trailhead? Some kind of transfer in the valley? Or should I do this in the other direction. If so, how is parking at Mono Meadows?
MM TH is not that busy - but a small quota - not knowing how many in your party, always best to pre-reserve your permit to be safe, but if a one or a two, next day permits are OK.
kpeter wrote:2) Will this route show a neophyte the highlights of SW Yosemite? Where should I allow time to stop and explore, and where should I press ahead? How many days? On good trail I will trudge for 12+ hours and make 12+ miles, but prefer shorter days. Suggestions for changes?
Like said above, once past Lower Ottoway, the best of Yosemite and take as much time as possible.
kpeter wrote:3) I am assuming that the cross-x from trail up the Lyell drainage to the meet up is not particularly challenging. I do a little cross country (eg. Many Island/Boundary Lake area in NW Yosemite) but am 80% a trail person--no class 3 and like my class 2 simple, don't tolerate exposure well, etc.
The last part, Lyell up to the meet is easy... Use trail, the rest of the trip will be all trail, (except for the short "off" to Red Devil Lake.)

My concern though is the bus thing from Tuolumne to the Valley, and then to MM...the time spent. Suggest allotting one day TM - Valley and staying overnight at Valley BP - then easy to get to Curry for the MM bus next morning. Might be better just to leave car in Curry orchard lot and walk to Valley - not do TM, but...
Mountainman who swims with trout
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

markskor wrote: My concern though is the bus thing from Tuolumne to the Valley, and then to MM...the time spent. Suggest allotting one day TM - Valley and staying overnight at Valley BP - then easy to get to Curry for the MM bus next morning. Might be better to just leave car in Curry lot and walk to Valley - not do TM, but...
That sounds like a great idea, especially so since I have not been past the top of Nevada Falls before. From the meet-up I would go out via Merced Lake, Lost Valley, Little Yosemite etc? All new to me, and it would simplify logistics.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I did a similar route in 2014 ending in the valley. I'll give some advice below, but you can also read in full detail about my route here.
kpeter wrote: 1) I've never made Yosemite trailhead reservations. For a through trip, just reserve a slot at Mono Meadows? How difficult to get? How easy would it be to shuttle from TM to Mono Meadows--shuttles go to Glacier Point, I presume, and stop at MM trailhead? Some kind of transfer in the valley? Or should I do this in the other direction. If so, how is parking at Mono Meadows?
You just need a permit for starting at Mono Meadows. It's one of the easiest permits to get since most everything out of there requires a pretty long trip. You shouldn't have a problem even if you procrastinate, but of course reserving in advance is always advisable.

Like was said before, shuttle all the way from TM to MM would take quite a long time. Might be best to leave your car in the Valley and split the shuttling between the beginning and end of your trip (i.e. shuttle up from the Valley to MM to start and then from TM back to the Valley to end).

The shuttle is the Glacier Point privately operated shuttle. They are not "supposed" to stop at Mono Meadows, but usually will if you ask the driver when boarding. Otherwise hitch down from GP to MM with some tourists. I don't think the shuttle picks up at Curry, only at the Lodge.
kpeter wrote: 2) Will this route show a neophyte the highlights of SW Yosemite? Where should I allow time to stop and explore, and where should I press ahead? How many days? On good trail I will trudge for 12+ hours and make 12+ miles, but prefer shorter days. Suggestions for changes?
I'd advise pushing fast through the part from MM to Ottoway Lakes if you can. It's not all that exciting. The prettiest stuff is Ottoway/Red Peak Pass and onward. I made it from the Valley on the shuttle up to MM and hiked to the outlet stream of Ottoway Lakes in 1 day and was glad I did. There were tons of thunderstorms and I was happy to be camped close to Red Peak Pass so I could get over it in the morning. Heading down from Red Peak Pass is just gorgeous with little tarns all around up close and the Yosemite High Country in the background. I wished that I'd had time to stop and spend a night at one of the lakes around there off trail and explore a bit, so if you have time, I'd put a night in here (maybe at Red Devil Lake?). I didn't find the Triple Peak Fork area all that exciting, but I'm not much of a canyon-in-the-trees person (prefer to look down of them from a rocky outcropping!). Instead of camping there, I'd head from Red Devil straight up to the lakes below Isberg Pass. They are absolutely stunning and the views from the trail along there are just incredible.

I'm confused a bit by markskor's comments about heading "down" to the Lyell Fork for the meetup, since you should definitely take the High Trail to the Lyell Fork (not the trail that stays in the Triple Peak Fork canyon). If you stay down in the canyon, I'm not sure there is an easy way to get up to the meetup from there since the part of the Lyell Fork between the canyon trail and the High Trail is extremely steep.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Ooh, I will try to make it! I was going to try to do the JMT as a thru-hike this year since I've never done that and your dates are right in the middle of when I was thinking I'd be doing it, but who knows whether I'll be able to get a permit with the new exit quota system. If I can't (which is likely), I'll try to fit the meetup in instead :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love