Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by markskor »

maiathebee wrote: I don't think the shuttle picks up at Curry, only at the Lodge.
Actually, last year June, the GP morning bus stopped at Curry, the bus garage kiosk in back of the big store Village, and lastly the Lodge.
maiathebee wrote:I'm confused a bit by markskor's comments about heading "down" to the Lyell Fork for the meetup, since you should definitely take the High Trail to the Lyell Fork (not the trail that stays in the Triple Peak Fork canyon). If you stay down in the canyon, I'm not sure there is an easy way to get up to the meetup from there since the part of the Lyell Fork between the canyon trail and the High Trail is extremely steep.
Could be wrong or just confused too, but...
Past visits have always included a stay at the Harriets, just off/east of the High Trail. After rejoining the trail at Foerster Creek going north, coming from TPF/Isberg, we took the trail (~1000 ft) DOWN to the Lyell Creek/Hutchings Creek area, and then followed the Lyell stream up, east to the meet up area. I suppose you could go other routes too - not go down - (go NE up and over instead from Foerster Creek) but the OP asked about easiest X-country route. YMMV.
Mark
- See more at: http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... VBre5.dpuf
Mountainman who swims with trout
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

markskor wrote:
maiathebee wrote: I don't think the shuttle picks up at Curry, only at the Lodge.
Actually, last year June, the GP morning bus stopped at Curry, the bus garage kiosk in back of the big store Village, and lastly the Lodge.
Oh awesome! Wonder why the website says only the Lodge.
markskor wrote:
Could be wrong or just confused too, but...
Past visits have always included a stay at the Harriets, just off/east of the High Trail. After rejoining the trail at Foerster Creek going north, coming from TPF/Isberg, we took the trail (~1000 ft) DOWN to the Lyell Creek/Hutchings Creek area, and then followed the Lyell stream up, east to the meet up area. I suppose you could go other routes too - not go down - (go NE up and over instead from Foerster Creek) but the OP asked about easiest X-country route. YMMV.
I think I misinterpreted what you said and we're talking about the same route. I was confused because from Red Devil it's down a bit to TPF then up about 500ft to the high trail before heading north (and down in elevation) to the Lyell fork. I thought you meant to go from TPF down the trail along the Merced, then up at the Lyell fork, so I thought you were saying to head up the Lyell Fork at its confluence with the Merced at ~7900ft instead of what you meant, which was to head up the Lyell fork from where the high trail crosses it at ~9100ft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Kpeter and Maiathebee,

Great to read that the both of you are considering attending the Meet-up! :nod:

In regards to your questions KP, you should consider waiting a little to see what routes others are considering taking, you may be able to join another group or swap car keys with another HST member, and therefore not complicate things by using the shuttle.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dbogey
Topix Acquainted

Anyone doing the SHR over to the meetup

Post by dbogey »

I'm contemplating on joining everyone but would like to do another portion of the SHR on the way in. Would like to go out of Agnew or another trail head on the eastern side. I'm able bodied and can do a fair number of miles per day - 15+ and travel ultralight and love taking photos .... this is starting to sound like a match.com profile :)

I'm coming in from Pittsburgh, Pa.
Just another day in paradise
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would like to go out of Agnew or another trail head on the eastern side. I'm able bodied and can do a fair number of miles per day - 15+ and travel ultralight and love taking photos .... this is starting to sound like a match.com profile. :)
:)
Some folks are considering Rogers Pass entering via Agnew, others via Old Bones Pass coming from the Bench Canyon area, you may be able to hook up with someone. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fellow Members,

Since the numbers of people interested in coming to the 2016 HST Meet-up keeps growing (23), we will have to add a second camp and possible a third, they will need to be at least 1/2 mile from each other, so we follow regulation (group limit size is 8 in the backcountry). Once we get closer, and if the amount of attendees stays over 16, then a third campsite will be designated.
Here is the location for the second and the possible third campsite, once everyone confirms their participation as we get into July, I will assign everyone to one of these camps:
Camp 2 HST Map
Camp 3 HST Map

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Mav, how does that work if we're not actually on a group permit? That is, I'm assuming most will simply just pick-up their individual permits - from any number of different THs - and then hike to the meet-up location.

It seems like an interesting situation: do any rangers have experience when a number of people - who aren't actually on a group permit - all happen to converge at one location at the same time from multiple trail heads?

It almost sounds like the situation @ Guitar lake (or Trail camp), where everyone arrives in the afternoon to prep for a morning ascent. I've seen over 50 people strung around Guitar (other times -0-). Rae lakes gets the same kind of impact.

Maybe you don't need to formally assign different locations - I'm pretty sure everyone will want to want to head out to different lakes with their buddies anyway. Personally, I'd probably just confer with 4-5 others I know and head on out someplace a little further up/down the line.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mav, how does that work if we're not actually on a group permit? That is, I'm assuming most will simply just pick-up their individual permits - from any number of different THs - and then hike to the meet-up location.
Here the answer from Yosemite NPS, requested clarification about this a while back since I was not sure whether Inyo and Yosemite had the same restrictions when it comes to group meet-ups in the backcountry.
To travel in groups larger than 8 off trail, you must split into sub-groups and comply with all of the following:
- Each sub-group must adhere to the group size limitations.
- Groups must begin Wilderness trips from separate trailheads when entering from the park (which you said you are doing).
- The sub-groups must travel and camp at least one-half mile apart at all times.

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Very interesting, though it appears the NPS thinks it's a more formal group meet-up. For example, 16 people from a church organization, who then break-up in to two groups of 8 and depart from different THs.

Still, in the spirit of the regulations, assigning different locations is a good political move. I'm planning on hiking to Vogelsang Friday morning anyway (maybe with Schmalz), so you can put me in the lower location. That way, I can set up my camp, come up to visit at the main lake, then head back down to crash.

PS I think BlueWater is contemplating Rogers Pass for his exit route, so the upper lake would could work for him. Perhaps you could ask for location requests?

Edit: Upon further reflection, perhaps those committed to staying two days should be assigned the main meet-up lake? I'm assuming that would include you, Oleander & Jim? It would make sense since that will be the hub of group activity, day hikes, dinner, etc.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Logistically, in preparation for a census of who's able to go closer to the time, we could probably designate better options of who would benefit to stay at Mav's sites? For example, how the trip my dad and I have planned, it would make sense for us to stay at camp 2. That being said, I don't think it would be a huge deal splitting up into the camps randomly either.

A quick question about the route that we are planning, we are looking to summit Electra from lake 10999 then going to Twin Island Lake. From what I can tell, it's a class 2 walk from the lake and the SW slope to the lakes is pretty easy.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles