Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by schmalz »

Just catching up on this thread...

I think it's hilarious that ya'll are talking as if 24 people are actually going to make it when it's all said and done. Based on turnout from the previous few years, I'd be surprised if you can fill one of those 8 person campsites.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I think it's hilarious that ya'll are talking as if 24 people are actually going to make it when it's all said and done. Based on turnout from the previous few years, I'd be surprised if you can fill one of those 8 person campsites.
:)
No matter what the turnout, it will be a fun time, see you there Schmalz. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

If anyone happens to recall, the earliest objections to the meet-ups were that they were too distant for such a quick get together and turn-around. But of course, that's the entire point in the first place: to provide a challenging mix of trail & cross-country/off-trail hiking for experienced backpackers in order to meet others of their own kind in a setting suitably rewarding for such an effort. You know, a community.

Here's a brief recap of the shortest possible routes - the paths I took (and will take) 'natch:

2014 Wales Lake - 21 miles via Shepherd pass
2015 Kaweah Basin - 27.2 miles via Shepherd pass
2016 Merced Basin - 22.6 miles via SHR (23.6 miles via Tuolumne Meadows) [Don't know the mileage from Isberg]

Unless you're an experienced ultra-light thru-hiker (not only that, but one who is currently in great shape and doing 25 mile days), these numbers are nothing to sniff at. That is, we're talking a minimum of two (2) days in and two (2) days out. So, four (4) days of tough hiking for what? To meet a few other like minded individuals, say "hi", and then hike out?

That's why while there's a lot of talk up front, the actual number of people who actually pull the trigger and make it is much smaller than the initial commitments.

PS There were some (heated) private discussions about another remote part of the range leading up to Mav's decision on the YNP location. I was actually on the side (by myself?) of saying it was too far and threatening to take my ball home. I don't think I changed anybody's mind, but I lucked out when a fire swept through the area, taking it out of consideration.
KingMouth
Topix Acquainted

Post by KingMouth »

Hobbes wrote:Just got a reservation for an entry on Tues, 7/26 along the High trail:

D1 Tue - TI lake via PCT
D2 Wed - Blue lake via SHR
D3 Thurs - meet-up
D4 Fri - Lyell via Vogelsang/Evelyn
D5 Sat - Donohue/Agnew via PCT/River

Per the reservation site, as of today there are only 3 other High trail permits available for that entry date; there were none for the River trail.

Of course, you can always do a walk-in - my usual style - but I make an exception in these cases and get a reservation.

I got busy at work yesterday and didn't get my Tuesday River trail permit the first day available.

When I checked today they were all gone, so I jiggered my plans so I'm coming in Monday on the High Trail. It works out better as I'd rather have a great view when going uphill so I can take pix during my frequent rests. I'd also rather take longer and see more than hurry past areas that need to be explored a little. (And I'm slow.) Looks like my 8 day trip became a 9.

Anyone who is serious better not snooze, or the permits will be gone. I guess that is the limiting factor on the number of people at this meetup.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Anyone who is serious better not snooze, or the permits will be gone. I guess that is the limiting factor on the number of people at this meetup.
Don't forget walk-in permits, also consider being creative, Agnew, YV, and Tuolumne Meadows are not the only traiheads from where one can access this area. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Here is a photo of the meet-up location, taken in fading light, as described in viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13655&start=24#p102418.
DSC15263-hst-2016-meetup-location-small.jpg
Here is a panorama of camp 2 location:
DSC15401-DSC15405-hst-2016-meetup-location-camp2-small.jpeg
Camp 3 is at the near end of the meadow at the bottom:
DSC15277-hst-2016-meetup-location-camp3-crop-small.jpeg
Click on photos to enlarge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Well, my carefully laid plan of bringing a friend and entering at Mono Meadows on the 25th and working my way to the meet up for the 29th is kaput--instead of faxing in my request I mailed it, thinking Mono Meadows was not that popular, and I just got the "all full" response. Any other suggestions for entrance trailheads that I could use instead of Mono Meadows? I had planned something like this:

25th In at Mono Meadows camp on Illouette Creek
26th Ottoway Lake
27th Red Devil Lake
28th (long) Meet up
29th Meet up
30th Merced
31st Out
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Any other suggestions for entrance trailheads that I could use instead of Mono Meadows?
Granite Creek Trailhead / Isberg Trail near Bass Lake.

peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

I'm just catching up on what ya'll are discussing here.

I'm planning on leaving from Silver Lake on 7/25 and going up over Rodgers Pass. In the following days, I hope to tag Rodgers, Electra, Ansel Adams, and Foerster before heading back from the meet up on 7/30ish. Forester and Ansel Adams will probably happen on the meet up days. PM me if you are interested in coming with. I am looking for capable peak-tagging partners. I have permits and beta and would prefer not to head in solo.
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Happy to read that you decide to attend P&P. :nod: