Baxter Pass to Sawmill Pass and lots in between! 7/23-7-28

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Joemorton85
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Baxter Pass to Sawmill Pass and lots in between! 7/23-7-28

Post by Joemorton85 »

I'm going up Baxter pass and planning to visit Baxter Lake, Rae lakes, sixty lakes basin and Woods Lake before going back over Sawmill Pass. Maybe a layover day at rae lakes to explore sixty lakes basin and do some fishing. I'm bringing my Tenkara Rod and some oil and spices. I'd love to do some fishing along the trail and at camp.
Let me know if any of you out there would like to join. I'm flexible on the start/end date give or take a day. I live in the South Bay and can drive so long as your not too far away. Or let's just meet at the Forest service station

I've hiked the North to South Lake loop (60 miles). I've hiked Roads End to Avalanche Pass, Elizabeth Pass, Kaweah Gap, Colby Pass, back over Avalanche back to Roads End (75 miles). I've also hiked from Sonora Pass to Whitney via the PCT/JMT (275 miles)... just so you know I have experience hiking.
Here's a link to a article about the hike to give you an idea of the route: http://www.backpacker.com/trips/califor ... nal-parks/
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Re: Baxter Pass to Sawmill Pass and lots in between! 7/23-7-

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

Hi Joe!
If you HAPPEN to decide not to go on this beautiful trip you have planned for whatever reason, join my friend and I for Mount Conness, Mount Warren, and Mount Hoffman in Yosemite this Thursday night - Sunday midday? We will car camp at Tioga Lake (most likely?). We are the only two people in our circle of hiking friends who can easily do a little peakbagging during the weekdays so we are always looking for more people to join us, and it looks like you are actually free and looking for hiking partners too! If you don't like peakbagging, we can always split up during the day and share stories around the campfire at night. If you might be interested, message me! Our more detailed itinerary is also posted at the California Peaks meetup.com group.

Awesome that you like Tenkara, I've always been interested but never got around to learning it. I am a cellist from Oakland, experienced backpacker, ambitious (but cautious) peakbagger, and my friend is a retired engineer, runner, kayaker, backpacker/peakbagger, photgrapher, and avid trip organizer for the California Peaks group I mentioned.
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jmnorvell
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jmnorvell »

Please post how your trip went! I'm thinking of the identical trip July 29 to Aug 2! (Solo, so far, but I wouldn't mind companions...)

John
Joemorton85
Topix Novice

Post by Joemorton85 »

Hey Peaksandpotatoes and Jmnorvell,

So... my friend came in from outta state at the last minute and we decided to change the entire itinerary so he could see some new parts of the range. heading out of Lodgepole in Sequoia we would hike Silliman pass > roaring river > Colby pass > Kern canyon > Kawea gap > then back to Lodgepole. Unfortunately on our first day my partner aggravated an old back injury and was completely sidelined. We decided to take a zero at Ranger Lake while my buddy could asses his condition and the prospects of continuing another 80 miles. Later that day we decided it wouldn't be wise to push on. After all, the idea of the trip was to have fun, and my friend was hurting really bad so why suffer through the next 4 days. So we decided to just relax, and enjoy the mountains. On third day heading back over Silliman pass my friend rested while I explored the Silliman crest. I took the north west ridge toward Mt. Silliman. I really enjoyed the class 2 boulder scrambling the way up towards the peak. I didnt do any research on this peak as I wasn't planning on exploring that area, so once I got pretty far along the northwest ridge I ran into some class 3 sections that I would not have been comfortable down climbing. Once, I hit my stopping point I could see a much easier route to the summit from the eastern ridge. I thought about retracing steps and climbing the easier route but I could see my buddy just waiting around down below so I opted to tag back up with him and we spent the rest of the day fishing at Twin Lakes (love my tankara!). On the fourth day we headed back to Lodgepole. The trip didn't go the way we thought but having a lot of time to just chillout was more fun than I expected. Last september we hiked Sonora Pass to Mt. Whitney in 16 days (same friend) and never took a zero day so this was very different for me but in hindsight it is a style of hiking I should try more often. Whatever happens make the best of it!

Oh and Peaksandpotatoes! I'll defintly checkout your meetup group. I have lots of time off and would love to tag along on a trip one of these days!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Be sure and camp near the small Woods Lake by the trail.