Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15 | High Sierra Topix  

Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Postby richlong8 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Very helpful. Thank you.

richlong8
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby richlong8 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 pm

I am thinking about going in from the Horseshoe Meadow area, and going thru Miter Basin, then over Crabtree Pass, down to the Kern and into Kaweah Basin. What would be great is if I could exit via Shepherd Pass, instead of backtracking to Horseshoe, leaving Kaweah and going north and east down to my car parked at Shepherd.....if someone would want to do that trip also, and shuttle cars with me. Leave one car at Shepherd(exit), and one car at Horseshoe(entry)....a bit of a drive to Horseshoe at the end of the trip, but no backtracking, solitude and great fishing most of the trip. anyone interested???
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby Bluewater » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Richlong, I have been thinking about entering/exiting the same way (HS Mdws-Shepherd) with a few more days after the meetup to go over PQ Col to Nine Lakes and eventually over Midway Col and out via Shepherds. Hobbes has posted about taking a similar route to Kaweah (HS Mdws-Miter-Crabtree etc) so maybe we can work out a group shuttle. BTW, if you are interested I attached a Google Earth link that shows the route to Island Lake with a little more detail than the map.

cross country route from kern kaweah river to island lake in kaweah basin.kmz
KMZ Google Earth link
(18.08 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby richlong8 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Sounds awesome. As long as we are entering and exiting the same days, same trailheads, everyone could still do their own variations, peaks, etc; I want to allow at least 10 days for this trip.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby Bluewater » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:13 pm

10 days is great, that's just what I was planning. I'll start loading up on extra calories now:).
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Postby Hobbes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:24 pm

richlong8 wrote:I am thinking about going in from the Horseshoe Meadow area, and going thru Miter Basin, then over Crabtree Pass, down to the Kern (via PCT/HST) ... be great is if I could exit via Shepherd Pass

With the exception of taking a left turn @ the HST junction with the PCT, that is the exact same route Jimr & Schmalz took for the 2014 meet-up @ Wales.

In their case, they ended up shuttling their cars @ each respective TH. That's got its advantages in terms of $ savings, but forces each party to take on having a new hiking partner for the duration of the trip.

IMO, a much better alternative is to meet in Lone Pine, and then split the cost of having someone follow you to park your cars @ Shepherd, and then drive each of you back to the Horseshoe TH.

My guess is that it would cost around $150-200 for the two of you, so say $75-100 for each person. If you're talking a 10 day trip, then the amortized cost is $10/day. I've said it many times: backpacking is still one of the least expensive adventures one can have.

For $10/day, you can choose to hike together, separate, meet-up @ different spots, or say adios. No need to stress out about meeting back at the right day/time, etc. That's a mighty cheap price to pay for independence and epitomizes the ethic of HYOH.

Besides, getting back up/down to/from HM from/to LP is a 1.5hr proposition (45 min each way). I don't know about you, but I can make Kramer Jct from LP in almost an hour and half. I'd rather be there than still driving winding hairpins while tired, dirty and looking forward to getting home.
Hobbes
Topix Expert

Postby richlong8 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Hobbes, I think that is a great idea also. I guess my thoughts were that if a couple of people would go to the same trailhead(Shepherd) on the same exit day, the hikers could still customize their trips, and not have to travel for 10 days in lockstep with another person. Not 100% foolproof, but probably doable.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby richlong8 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:17 pm

I was looking at the Red Spur Lakes Basin that was mentioned. I would hate to miss going into that area since I am going to be in Kaweah Basin for the Meetup anyway. It looks like from the map that it would be easier to approach those lakes from Island lake by contouring around to the SE. Anyone go that way? Maverick, your photos of that area make it seem very appealing, fish, or no fish.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby maverick » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi Rich,

Going over the shoulder is the easiest way to gain access into Red Spur Lakes Basin,
and there are several lakes that deserve a photographers attention. If my schedule
allows, meaning getting 9 days off, then I plan on spending 2-3 days in RSLB, especially
if there is some weather disturbance or at least clouds in the area that can be
conducive to some quality light.
No fish in the lakes.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby richlong8 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks, it looked like going to the meetup lake first was the best approach. I will probably try to at least get one sundown and one sunrise there.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby maverick » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:34 pm

Rich wrote:
Thanks, it looked like going to the meetup lake first was the best approach.

Yes it is, especially coming from the east.

There are some great photo opportunities in the upper part of the KB, also from the
ridge between Picket Creek and Kaweah Basin.

The ridge line extending from just south of Mt. Kaweah to about half the length of
the ridge extending towards Kaweah Queen can be bathed in a beautiful Alpine Glow
in the morning hours.

Some of the small lakes/ponds, and view points on the previously mentioned ridge line
(between Picket-Kaweah Basin), should have outstanding opportunities in the morning
hours, and if enough clouds are present, then at sunset too.

In Red Spur Lakes Basin most of the action is at sunset, the Whitney Range can glow
in a beautiful warm light at sunset, and if you locate an ideal lake that gives you the
perfect reflection of this magnificent show, like some of the lakes towards the southern
end of the basin, a photographer can be well rewarded for their efforts.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby SSSdave » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Completed an updated plan for a 2015 8 or 9 day backpack over Shepherd Pass. As noted previously, won't be joining the rest of you for reasons given. I won't set the dates until later April when I can assess the winter snowpack in order to be up there at peak greenery and wildflowers which ought to also be in the late stages of mosquito season. If the winter is average will likely set dates of August 1 through 9 that will be after the group trip.

Since I will be carrying less weight than when I planned this out 3 years ago, changed my plan to get over Shepherd in just 2 full days. Have now reviewed the mileage to the pass given changes in the inaccurate topo switchback section noted previously on a http://www.summitpost.org thread which adds another 0.5 miles to the distance to the 2760+ meter ridge point.

elev.....up.....down....miles
--------------------------------------------
9,080...2780............3.7 ridge crossing
9,150....230............6.3 Mahogany Flat
10,040...890............8.0 Anvil Camp
10,810...770............9.2 The Pothole
12,040..1230...........10.5 Shepherd Pass
----------------------------------------
........6400 feet......10.5 miles

Measurements were done using my usual 1/4 mile pencil marking on a topo. So if this trip happens, will pick up my permit as soon as possible after the Whitney ranger station opens at 8am on a Saturday given the Sequoia NP sermon policy then drive back north the 18 miles to Lone Pine, 4 miles up the Onion Valley Road then the 4 miles on that ugly dirt road. Which means probably getting on the trail by a hot 9:30am which is horrible. In any case my uphill hiking style carrying low 60's pounds is slow with lots of breaks and napping. (:

Snippet from summitpost.org:

Shepherd Pass (6400'). From Independence, drive west on Market Street for 4.2 miles, before turning left on Foothill Road (gravel). The road forks after 1.3 miles; take the right fork, and continue on this main road, ignoring side roads. Continue about 1.5 miles further to a corral and a sign saying "Symmes Creek"; turn left here.
After another 0.5 miles, you'll reach a signed junction for the Shepherd Pass trail; turn right here, and follow the road to the trailhead, keeping right at both forks. The road is passable, with some care, to most passenger cars. This trail is used to access Mt. Tyndall, Mt. Williamson, Junction Peak, as well as peaks in the Sequoia NP backcountry around the upper reaches of the Kern River (Milestone Mtn., Midway Mtn., etc.). Although this trail has a reputation for being a hard hike, it is well-graded, and is generally one of the more pleasant of the high passes.

My own trip now will spend the second night Sunday at one of the lakes near Shepherd Pass so I might get something late of Williamson and Tyndal from 3806. Then dawn speed down to the Wrights Creek meadows Bighorn Plateau zone where I will semi base camp 3 nights at spots giving me 3 afternoons and 2 mornings for photography. And note that is way lower in those drainages than where you folks went this summer. Then day 6 dawn will ramble over to the Upper Kern Basin for 1 or more likely 2 nights before making the 2 day return leg.
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Find A Partner / Form A Group / Join A Group