Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Hobbes »

Here's a brief recap of what I expect my final itinerary to look like. Since I haven't had any luck glomming onto someone else's permit for Shepherd, I'm going to have to go into the IAVC @ 8am and pick-one up myself. (And for added amusement, which AlmostThere should really enjoy my eating crow, I actually broke down and reserved a permit. \:D/) All told, I figure if I really haul ass, I can hopefully be on the trail by 9am.

D1 Tues 7/21 Shepherd -> Junction meadow [22 miles]. This will be my 4th trip on Shepherd. It doesn't matter if it's 9.5 miles, 10.5 miles or whatever, I can basically do it in 6+ hours. So that will put me on the top around 3pm. I like to hike until after 7pm, so I figure I can go another 10 miles - mostly downhill except for the rise @ Bighorn plateau - before it's time to pull in before 8pm. (I generally go stoveless and cowboy camp, so it takes me a matter of minutes to add cold water to my instant refried beans, eat, brush & jump under my quilt and crash.)

D2 Wed 7/22 Junction mdw -> Funston Creek -> Kern Hot Springs -> Whitney creek [16.5 miles] Did I mention I like to start hiking @ morning twilight? This day will be devoted to fishing the Kern river, and since I should be up & away before 6am, I should be able to reach my target with plenty of time to get back to Whitney creek by 7pm.

Jim, his buddy John & Randy will be hiking north along the Kern river towards Whitney creek on this day as well, so I'm planning on hooking up with them at some point during the day and then again that evening.

D3 Thurs 7/23 Whitney creek -> Meet-up [6 miles] I'm going to fish the Kern in the morning and try and catch my limit to bring up to the group in the afternoon. I know Jim is thinking the same thing, so if all goes well, we should have around 10 good sized fish to share for a communal fish fry.

D4 Fri 7/24 Meet-up -> 3 bay lake aka Kern basin [10.5 miles] I'm planning on leaving with Jim, John & Randy around noon to head up to the Kern basin for more fishing & general hanging out. Anyone planning/thinking of going in that direction is invited to come along with us if you can still stand our company. :partyman:

D5 Sat 7/25 Kern basin -> Shepherd [16.5 miles] I'll probably get going before 6am to try and reach to my car before 3pm. I can get home in 5 hrs from Shepherd, so should be walking through the doors by 8pm.

If anyone else is going to be in the general vicinity, and you see someone with a distinctive, entirely green dyneema 210 backpack* (aka "the Green Goblin") with gatorade water bottles hanging off the front shoulder straps, that's me (Jim has the el monstro sunhat):

*This is my fourth DIY backpack - I'm really happy with the way it's turned out. It's really strong, but only weighs 18oz. My expected total baseweight should be around 8lbs, with 7+lbs of food, fishing gear, etc. Once my food is gone, I expect to walk out with a pack weighing less than 10lbs.
Last edited by Hobbes on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by maverick »

All told, I figure if I really haul ass, I can hopefully be on the trail by 9pm
Good luck on that Hobbes, and it will be a nice hot ascent with that late start, stay hydrated.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

:crybaby:

How I'd love to get started before 6am like last year.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

ToothlessMountaineer wrote:Shepherd->Kern->Wallace
I'll keep my eyes posted for you. In fact, if you reversed your hike, you could check out this path to WLB/Wallace (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9783&p=86737#p86737), hike down Kern cyn & over to the meet-up, and then head up to the Kern basin/out with our motley crew.
ToothlessMountaineer wrote:Unless I missed something, everything up high was fishless but a joy to wander around.
You can see this lake from Newcomb - the GT were hitting like brookies:

ToothlessMountaineer
Topix Novice

Post by ToothlessMountaineer »

Hobbes wrote:I'll keep my eyes posted for you. In fact, if you reversed your hike, you could check out this path to WLB/Wallace (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9783&p=86737#p86737), hike down Kern cyn & over to the meet-up, and then head up to the Kern basin/out with our motley crew.
I've been itching for an excuse to climb Tyndall and I sure wish I'd known about Rockwell Pass 3 years ago - thanks for the suggestion. I have an extra day to get back out, but I'd be happy to tag along in the Kern Basin. I've only been to Lake South America, which like Wallace I visited too late in the season to even see a single fish.
Hobbes wrote:You can see this lake from Newcomb - the GT were hitting like brookies

Happy to stand corrected
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

At this moment, because of work, hope to make Island Lake by the afternoon of the 23rd, maybe, which better be the case, since those who have chimed in here, or PMed me, plan to have moved on before the 24th, was hoping that everyone would be heading out the morning of the 24th, guess I better be prepared for the possibilty of solo Meet-up party.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Jim, his two buddies and myself are planning on arriving @ the meet-up spot the afternoon of Thurs, 7/23. The next day, Fri 7/24, we're only heading up to the Kern basin (4+- hrs), so I don't expect we'll be leaving until around lunch time.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I'll post my precise itinerary in a few days. But yes, I too noticed that Jimr, Hobbes, Mav, etc. will not be present until the afternoon of the 23rd, and some are leaving on the 24th. So, Island Lake on the night of the 23rd is my plan! (And possibly, the night of the 22nd as well.)

Is anyone else interested in camping at Picket Creek Lake and/or in Red Spur Basin in the days leading up to the meet-up at Island Lake? Once I get some things firmed up, I'll post the days and the locations where you can find me at PCL and RSB.

- Elizabeth
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My hope is that those of you who have never been to KB before, take advantage of visiting Picket Creek Lake (the last one to the east), it is one of the prettiest waterholes in the Sierra, and you should not miss it!

Also to the south of the Meet-up lake, over the shoulder of Red Spur (cross at around 11000 ft), is one of the most isolated, and beautiful lakes basin in the Sierra, with enchanting views of the Sierra Crest and the Whitney complex, this too should not be missed.

Both PCL and RSB are very close by, everyone attending should take advantage of this, especially since we will be in such close proxitmiy to both of these goregous locations!

May be able to boogey out of the BA very early Tuesday morning, if I can get to SEKI, get a permit, and be on the trail before 9:30, I will be in KB by Wed. :)

Is anyone leaving out of Crescent Meadow on Sunday or Monday morning?

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am planning on being in the vicinity of the meetup sometime on Monday or Tuesday, probably going to Picket area first, then Red Spur lakes, then back to Island lake no later than Thursday morning. With my slow rate of travel, I have to get going from island lake on Friday morning to get to the car late Sunday afternoon. See ya there. Carrying a green ULA catalyst, and wearing brown felt hat. Hopefully with the HST patch sewn on the pack.

Richard