Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Hobbes »

LOL. You wanna go on an early training hike in late April? (Right after tax season ends - file your extensions and split!) 110 miles in 5 (maybe 4 days) @ the PCT kick-off? The only elevation gain/loss is 3k+- up/down Mt Laguna. Get ahead of the pack by 1 day from the border and exit @ Warner springs aka Section A:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... ornia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Park the cars @ WS and pay someone to drive to the border. Get back, drive home - EZ breezy. But, you gotta get your base weight down to around 5lbs + wear running shoes. Add 10lbs water/day + 5lbs of food, and you'll avg carrying 20-.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Let me think about it. You still have that extra set of UL?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Love the chat, but please keep it on topic fellas, thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Mav et al., I would really like to make this trip. I can probably get the week off (July 20-24) and include the Sunday before and the Saturday after for a total of 7 days. I've never been south of Mammoth in the Sierra so the area, and associated trail heads, are foreign to me. I'll be coming from Sacramento in a normal passenger car (Subaru Impreza). I'm comfortable with up to Class 3 passes and have moderate experience with cross-country travel. What trail head(s) and route(s) would you recommend I look into? Thanks.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi FeetFirst,

You have several options to approach KB from the east, each have their own unique
qualities.
Shepherd, Onion, and Horseshoe may be an option, especially since their are some
members who have indicated their intentions of using these trailheads, and also
interest in a key exchange, and/or maybe a hiking partner.
Looking forward to meeting you FeetFirst. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thanks, Mav. The planning begins... :nod:
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Cottonwood pass is the easiest. Its 30 miles each way via pct/hst, but you start @10k with Max elev at 11.5k past chickenspring. Shepherd is the shortest but you pay for that with a long steep trail.

Edit: actually Trail crest is the shortest but you have to climb to 13.6 from 8.5 + somehow get a zone permit. Oh and add the same climb out on the return from kern cyn.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A route I have done in the past- not the easiest but direct, with one big up and one down. Crescent Meadow - Hamilton Lake - Keweah Gap (all trail up to here) - Keweah Queen? Col - upper Keweah Basin. Could do it in two long days if you have a light pack. Easy to do in three days. I am not sure how this mileage compares to your east side routes. It is a pretty spectacular route.

By the way, what was the elevation of the lake you planned on camping at in Keweha Basin?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WD wrote:
By the way, what was the elevation of the lake you planned on camping at in Kaweah Basin?
10,600 ft

Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I'm interested in this trip. Horseshoe to Shepherd seems the easiest to manage for me but I'm also considering Crescent Meadow to Shepherd via the Nine Lakes Basin since I've never been on the HST and coming from the SF Bay Area, I could begin my hike on day 1 (can't if I start from Horseshoe). However, I'm a little intimidated by Pants Pass. Also, how do people manage transportation on these west-east treks?