Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Rockyroad »

Here is my rough draft intinerary. I'm coming from the Bay Area so am looking at a west entrance and will most likely exit the same way for easier logistics. I'll enter Kaweah Basin over Pyra Queen per Maverick and others' suggestions. I wanted to catch a glimpse of the Whaleback and Cloud Canyon so will loop north on the return which will also reduce retracing my steps. I haven't worked out the details of each day yet. For example, I haven't decided how I would get to the lake below Triple Divide Peak on day 5 yet. I'm also wondering whether I should spend a night at Red Spur Lakes instead of the layover at Island Lake. Maybe I need an additional day to accommodate camping at all three Kaweah Basin, Red Spur Lakes, and Island Lakes? Any comments/suggestions on my overall plan are welcome and appreciated!

Day 1: Crescent Meadows TH to Buck Creek or Hamilton Lakes
Day 2: Buck Creek/Hamilton Lakes to a lake on west side of Pyra-Queen Col (don't know which lake yet)
Day 3: Over Pyra-Queen Col through Kaweah Basin to Island Lake meetup (too much?)
Day 4: Layover - dayhike to Red Spur Lakes
Day 5: Island Lake to lake just below Triple Divide Peak and NE of Pants Pass along the Kern Kaweah River.
Day 6: Up over Triple Divide Pass to Glacier Lake. Hike to Copper Mine Pass and back if time and energy permit.
Day 7: Down Lion Lakes Pass to Tamarack Lake
Day 8: Tamarack Lake to Crescent Meadows TH

Day 6 alternate 1: Over Pants Pass and Lion Rock Pass to Lion Lake
Day 7 alternate 1: Hike up Lion Lake Pass and back down. Then to Tamarack Lake.
Day 8 alternate 1: Tamarack Lake to Crescent Meadows TH

Day 6 alternate 2: Over Pants Pass to a lake in Nine Lake Basin or Precipice Lake
Day 7 alternate 2: Nine Lake Basin or Precipice Lake to Buck Creek or Nine Mile
Day 8 alternate 2: Buck Creek or Nine Mile to Crescent Meadows TH
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

I'm still not 100% certain I'm going, but wanted to share a tentative itinerary for an 8-9 day trip:

Roads End - East Lake - Reflection Lake (must detour the extra 1/2 mile to see it) - Harrison Pass - upper Kern (perhaps pause here for semi-layover) - Milestone Basin - Milestone Pass - Milestone Bowl - Picket Creek Lake - Kaweah Basin somewhere with people - Pyra Queen Col - Nine Lakes Basin (pause) - HST to Crescent Meadow.

Haven't worked out a more detailed itinerary, nor figured out how to shuttle between trailheads.

- Elizabeth
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Bump

All HST members, no matter how long you have been a member, are invited to come to the Meet-up!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Would love to meet up but think I'm still too much of a rookie to do this. Trying to build my way up to the big hikes, don't want to get myself into any sort of trouble.

Hopefully next year, I will look forward to the pictures!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

IB wrote:
Would love to meet up but think I'm still too much of a rookie to do this. Trying to build my way up to the big
hikes, don't want to get myself into any sort of trouble.

Not trying to push you into doing something your not comfortable with IB, keep in mind that you could
possibly hook up with another HST member who has already indicated their interest in attending.
Learning the ropes from an experienced backpacker is the best way to become get good at this sport.

I would invite you to come with me but as of now I will have limited time available, so I will be in and
out (Thur-Sun), if I can manage to get 2 more days off then your welcome to come with me.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

It's more of the pace and what not. I did the Hite Cove trail and it literally kicked my butt. I think total elevation gain was 600ft, but it was only like 100ft max at one time? Maybe 200? My pace would be much worse going up 10,000ft peaks I'm sure.

But definitely thanks for the offer. Hopefully next year I'll be in much better shape and be built up for the big stuff.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

maverick wrote:best way to become get good at this sport.
Wait a minute Mav.....a sport?! This is a state of mind man!! A lifestyle :thumbsup:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, that too Sparky. :)

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

My wife calls it an obsession
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Of course we are obsessed, how can you not be to something so beautiful and gratifying to one's soul.