Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by maverick »

Good call, never a good idea to go into the backcountry with an injury, just make sure you allow it time to heel, otherwise it will become chronic, and then you will be sideline for a long time!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Been looking at the way into Kaweah Basin from the Kern-Kaweah. I have about decided to go into the Pickett Lake area first by fording the KK river 1/2-3/4 miles upstream of the "normal" route that sticks a little closer to the creek that comes out of Kaweah Basin. It seems like it might be a little less exposed, especially if I can find the "ramp" system some speak about. The maps inserted on this thread are helpful. Any suggestions? Secor describes the route down from the lowest Pickett Creek Lake to the Kern Kaweah as class 2, but gives no details. Then again, if someone is around next Tuesday or Wednesday who has done one of these routes before, I might just follow them. I leave tomorrow morning, leisurely making my way thru Miter Basin to the area. See you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, but I will not make the Meet-up. :(
I was rear ended at a stop light this morning on the way to work, spent several hours at Kaiser getting x-rays and CT scans, luckily no major injuries, but will be sore for the next several days (back and neck).

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Capital B Bummmmer! But no injuries as of yet! Beware they do creep up on ya in the next few weeks... Again. Crap!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Rich- I have been reading internet reports and they are all over the place on the difficulty of the "standard" route from Kern-Keweah to Island Lake and the "alternative" that you are talking about. I have been studying Google Earth too. Because of the uncertainty of these routes from the Kern-Keweah, I may stick to the "devil that I know"- in Picket Guard Pass and out via Pyra Queen Col. Also have been considering going over the pass from the lake below Pants Pass to the head of Picket Creek. Looks like a lot of talus on Google Earth. Unfortunately Google Earth images were taken when there still was lots of snow.

It also looks to me that you could also go directly to the lakes on Red Spur and then drop to Island Lake. It sure would be great to have a good route descriptions.

If anyone here has been up the route from the Kern Keweah (near Rockslide Lake) to Island Lake, I would REALLY appreciate some information on this route!!!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

What a drag Mav. We'll leave the light on for ya.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

So sorry to hear, Mav. I was looking forward to meeting you. Glad no major injuries.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Maverick: really sorry to hear about your accident. Like many others, I am sure, I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Get well soon.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Wow, sorry to hear about that - hope you get better soon.

Who will MC the event; more importantly, plot the 3rd annual location in your absence? :evil:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks everyone! I was really looking forward to this Meet-up, and really hope everything goes well with the healing, so at least our search for Matt in the Minarets in Sept will be a go.

Got a shot a Morphine as they let me out yestersday afternoon, came home, posted on HST, and then was out for almost 18 hrs straight. My neck and back are sore, doc said it will get worse for the next 2 days, and then better after that, hopefully.
Will be out from work for the rest of this week, will see about next week.

No MC needed Hobbes, the main thing is that you all get to meet each other, share stories about the Sierra, and hopefully make long lasting friendships! Oh, next years spot is already chosen. :unibrow: