Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Rockyroad »

So sorry to hear, Mav. I was looking forward to meeting you. Glad no major injuries.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Maverick: really sorry to hear about your accident. Like many others, I am sure, I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Get well soon.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Wow, sorry to hear about that - hope you get better soon.

Who will MC the event; more importantly, plot the 3rd annual location in your absence? :evil:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks everyone! I was really looking forward to this Meet-up, and really hope everything goes well with the healing, so at least our search for Matt in the Minarets in Sept will be a go.

Got a shot a Morphine as they let me out yestersday afternoon, came home, posted on HST, and then was out for almost 18 hrs straight. My neck and back are sore, doc said it will get worse for the next 2 days, and then better after that, hopefully.
Will be out from work for the rest of this week, will see about next week.

No MC needed Hobbes, the main thing is that you all get to meet each other, share stories about the Sierra, and hopefully make long lasting friendships! Oh, next years spot is already chosen. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Well, three of my 5 bailed, so it will be John and I following Hobbes up after we meetup in the Canyon.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

So far, I am going. Not yet sure of which route- will come in from the west - Mineral King, Crescent Meadow or Roads End.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I'm coming in from Crescent Meadows on Sat and plan to meet up with Oleander and anyone else in the area at the heart-shaped Nine Lakes Sunday evening.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I've been working late and just saw your post Mav. I hope you feel better soon and I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. I will miss meeting you at the meetup but the most important thing of course is your recovery.

WD, I'm not sure if I read your post right but if you were asking about info on the route up to Kaweah Basin/Island Lake from the Kern-Kaweah I did a tr from last summer with detailed maps and photos of the route up from Rock Slide Lake. I was hiking up from the Kern and crossed at about 9,200, after the lake and through the top of the three waterfalls. From there it is an easy scramble up the north side of the creek, then cross at the log jam and follow the tarn before climbing up the final section on the west side of the creek. There is a very short class III part toward the top, but it wasn't a problem even with a pack with 7 days of food. From there it's a short stroll over easy slabs to Island Lake. That outlet if Island Lake is beautiful. I had dinner at the top of the waterfall, great views across the Kern.

If you're interested this is a link to the tr from last summer. It's long, the part about the route is in 'Day 2'. I hope this helps: http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -2014.html

I'm hoping to try Picket Guard Pass and have appreciated your post and photos about that route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey Maverick -

Sure sorry to learn of your accident, but very glad to see you didn't get injured worse. Hope you are back to feeling well very soon (and taunting us with next years HST meet-up location).

Shawn
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Bluewater wrote:I crossed at about 9,200, after the lake and through the top of the three waterfalls. From there it is an easy scramble up the north side of the creek, then cross at the log jam and follow the tarn before climbing up the final section on the west side of the creek.
Thanx Andy, your detailed route map is perfect. Did Tom K give you the specifics about staying to the east of the (east fork) creek, then crossing to the west before the tarn? Based on his TR description, I had sketched out a rough route that was similar, but wasn't specific about which side(s) of the creek to stay on.

Question: do you think you could cross Kern-Kaweah a little earlier to be able to arrive on the east side of the creek without the dog-leg? Or is it too bushy, or Rockslide too marshy, or the vertical cliff too obstructive? I guess we'll find you when we arrive and take a look.

On the way out, I think I'm going to follow your route as well - head up into the basin a bit for a gander, turn around & traverse the saddle, head to Picket lake, then follow the angled NW descent back down to the KK river.