Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Gazelle »

Just wondering who is still considering going now that it is getting closer? I am planning on it as long as I can get the week off and someone to take care of all my animals. Going in mineral king july 18th and bagging as many peaks as possible on the way, looks like I will go in over Queen-Pyra Col and out kaweah pass back to mineral king leaving july 25th/26th.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just wondering who is still considering going now that it is getting closer?
Jimr, Hobbes, Bluewater, Wandering Daisy, Oleander, Electra, FeetFirst, RockyRoad, Richlong8, iHartMK, kkcy(lurker), Yuberiver, and myself, that is 13 members.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

my friend John (I think he is registered as sierraguy (lurker)) and his friend Randy are coming along with me. 14 members.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

my friend John (I think he is registered as sierraguy (lurker)) and his friend Randy are coming along with me. 14 members.
Cool.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I'm looking forward to an extended trip in the backcountry and meeting so many of the people here on HST. I plan on doing a loop out of Lodgepole starting Sat 07/18 through Sun 07/26 and accessing KB via Picket Guard Pass and out via PQC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Looks like we will have a traffic jam on PQC on the 26th. :lol:

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I'm going up Shepherd on Tues 7/21. I will be cutting across Tyndall and dropping down Wallace crk on my way to the Kern river in order to rendezvous with Jim and his buddy John & friend Randy. All four of us will be heading to "3-bay lake" in the Kern basin on Friday 7/24 after the Thurs meet-up. We will all be exiting Shepherd on Sat, 7/25.

Is there anybody else coming/going in the general direction I should keep an eye out for?
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am definitely going, with a permit for Thursday, 7/16 for Cottonwood Pass. The intent was to go into Miter Basin, over Crabtree Pass, then down and over to Kaweah, and back to same trailhead by Sunday, July 26. I am slightly considering a change to a west side entry, if I can get the permit, because I have heard the water levels in Rock Creek are very low, but one way or the other, I will be there. Looking forward to the meetup.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I wouldn't let the water levels in Rock creek deter you. I've been back in Miter basin a few times, and to be honest, never thought about the creek. Rather, the focus was on the lakes (no, this isn't SBL):

As an aside, I have a special dislike for CW pass & (lower) Soldier lake. IMO, hot, dry, sandy & boring; much prefer the Army passes. There's a nice backdoor entry from either one down the lower shoulder of Langley to get to upper Soldier, and then through the keyhole to Miter. Jim & Schmalz did it last year on their way over Crabtree pass to the meet-up. Jim has a detailed route map that I'm sure he'd be happy to share with you or post up on this thread.

Rather than exit out the same way, you might consider exiting Whitney or Shepherd. The cost of a shuttle would be around $60-100 - cheap considering an epic hike of this nature.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Schmalz has our route and description on Calitrails. I wouldn't let low water deter me from Miter either. while the outlet waterfall from Sky Blue Lk, would be nothing to look at as opposed to higher water years, the lakes are spectacular. I was very impressed with the lakes above SBL. And the awesome sandy beach on middle Crabtree Lk.

When we went over Crabtree Pass, we had expert route advice by both the Rock Creek and Crabtree Meadow rangers. I originally researched this route as a camp at SBL, then a long dayhike to Whitney and back, therefore, I had the right side of the pass outlined, but the Rangers pointed us down the left side of the slope. It looked death defying, but it turned out to be an easy stairstep descent to the upper lake.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.