Fall Colors Meet-up??

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Fall Colors Meet-up??

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The meet-up post is locked. Is this still on schedule or not?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fall Colors Meet-up??

Post by maverick »

Hi Daisy,

There was no interest, covid, and smoke, so canceled. I may still go up around the same time IF the Fall colors are booming this year. Let me know if you are interested in joining; PM me.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

This fall will only consider making a long drive to the Eastern Sierra if the air clarity greatly improves that will occur if we get a decent cold front down from the eastern Pacific strong enough to flush out our valley air and quench fires. This summer air quality has generally been mediocre to dismal (air.gov maps) since early July and there are still numbers of burning to smoldering fires. Numbers posting this summer have often related how during their trips they lucked out with blue skies. However when I've subsequently checked air maps it has been less clear than I prefer except immediately after some brushing dry front or thunderstorm event occurs after which new hazy air quickly moves up canyons from the Central or Owens valleys.

Less likely will be decent conditions in aspen groves away from streams due to droughty conditions that tends to result in less synchronized change with much dry less saturated leaves. Where the drought has little affect is along the many all year streams. There is one particular stream side grove that changes late I've been waiting to return to, the last year of the 4 year drought, that somehow resulted in some incredibly variable high saturation leaf colors I've not seen since. So could pull the trigger at short notice if web reports and weather point towards that possibility. Also an uncommon low elevation snowstorm during color change might interest making the effort. Otherwise, just have too much strong work that ordinary conditions are not likely to improve on.
Last edited by SSSdave on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank goodness for the internet, easy-to-watch weather conditions, and Fall color reports, so one doesn't need to drive several hours for less than ideal conditions like in the past.
Some color already showing up: https://www.californiafallcolor.com/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

maverick wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:07 pm Thank goodness for the internet, easy-to-watch weather conditions, and Fall color reports, so one doesn't need to drive several hours for less than ideal conditions like in the past.
Some color already showing up: https://www.californiafallcolor.com/
Really love this site. Thanks for posting it, Mav.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Crop from a 6000x4000 full image of quaking aspens with exceptional variable leaf color and leaf separation.

(mouse select to enlarge)
OR01287-4-cr1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.