Fall Colors Bishop Creek 2021 Meetup Oct 7 - Oct 10

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Fall Colors Bishop Creek 2021 Meetup Oct 7 - Oct 10

Post by maverick »

This front country Meetup would allow us to not deal with the permitting issues, and enjoy some of the famous Fall Colors of the Sierra. September would be too dry, unappealing, and anything earlier would have us contending with crowds for campsites.
Everyone can find their own campsite somewhere in the Bishop Creek corridor, and then some of us can meet up at North Lake, Lake Sabrina, Rock Creek, and any other locations in the near vicinity, where the Fall Colors may be at or near its peak, others can go fishing, climbing, and we can choose a central spot where we can meet up at a set time.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Fall Colors Bishop Creek 2021 Meetup Oct 7 - Oct 10

Post by rlown »

I could try that, but my trip is Sept 15th out of North lake for 10 days. I'd hate to have to drive back to Wilton just to turn around a couple weeks later, but it is possible. I'd be solo with Simba (dog.) Again, it depends on snowfall and fires in October. And I have chains now for the VW if needed.

It does give people an ability to get permits. I really hope they reopen the Mono Visitor center for walk-in. Really convenient.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Seems like a week late to hit peak colors in that area and also there will be sooo many people.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We did a fall color trip same area Oct 17-20, 2014 and the fall colors were great. I did a day-hike Chocolate Lake loop and back. Fishing was fine too. So I do not think the dates are bad for fall colors, but it is a holiday weekend (Columbus day). I would like to go but have committed to watch grandkids, but maybe I can convince their Mom to let me take them to Bishop. I will definitely keep looking here for more details. I think a big issue would be if campgrounds are fully open. If COVID turns for the worse, that may be a problem.
ChuckSten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ChuckSten »

Superb idea. Allows for maximum flexibility. Just pick the appropriate altitude for the foliage colors.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

October 7 to 10 is a reasonable period most years for mid elevation aspen groves. Those up at highest areas 9k to 10k like South Lake, North Lake, upper Rock Creek, Dunderberg, are likely to peak about Oct 1, however there are more areas of aspen at 6.5k to 9k, especially up north. For instance Conway Summit is only 8.1k. Although public NF campgrounds may be shutting down by October, there are many dispersed camping locations people could meet up about.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cancelled
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org