beginner's question (again): filter if boiling?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: beginner's question (again): filter if boiling?

Post by Cross Country »

From 71 to 83 I never treated water. Then in Garner Basin I got a really bad bug for 12 days. I then filtered my water (what a lot of hard work) from 83 to 96. After that I became very self disciplined and began using the tablets. Using both types of tablets the water tastes great. With them you plan ahead and use the timer on your watch (do you have self discipline)? That really saves a lot of hard work. It's sooo easy and tastes great.
Last edited by Cross Country on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Cross Country wrote:From 71 to 83 I never treated water. Then in Garner Basin I got a really bad bug for 12 days. I then filtered my water (what a lot of hard work) from 83 to 96. After that I became very self disciplined and began using the tablets. Using both types of tablets the water tastes great. With them you plan ahead and use the timer on your watch (do you have self discipline)? That really saves a lot of hard work. It's sooo easy and tastes great.
Tablets.. yuk.. Filtering. 65 pumps per 32 oz. big deal.. I expend more energy fishing 3 casts than that.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Russ and I have talked on the phone about this before. The tablets are NOT yuk. He and I are friends and he's wrong and I'm right.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

guyd is already out there; filtering and boiling. Just hoping he likes his visit. He had the right mindset for the visit. Hoping for a great TR..
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Cross Country wrote:Then in Garner Basin I got a really bad bug for 12 days.
Then if it was Giardia, it was picked up 1 to 2 weeks before that. "The symptoms of Giardia, which may begin to appear 1–2 weeks after infection..." sez my reference sources.

The Sierra flushes out the lakes and streams every year and the frequency of reported cases of Giardia has gone down in recent years. As I said before, choose your sources carefully, which I do, and if I don't like my options, I use the tablets.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Cross Country wrote:Russ and I have talked on the phone about this before. The tablets are NOT yuk. He and I are friends and he's wrong and I'm right.

So I take it he's just ragging on you. Yeah, I find that the Vitamin C completely takes out the iodine taste. I've never filtered water in my life.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I went to the doctor. He did a biopsy or a culture or something. It wasn't Giardia. I don't remember what it was.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I don't filter or boil either.
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

I don't filter or boil either.
I just tell my wife I do...
:evil:

But, I usually do her water....never mine anymore. She thinks she has a "sensitive stomach".
Not sure if that's correct as we've been married 15 years in a couple of weeks now. Anything that was sensitive has pretty much been "de-sensitized" by now....
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you all know that guyd and his family only asked about filter before boiling, right? And he's out and back already based on his itinerary at viewtopic.php?t=6053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, To each their own on filtration, boiling, tablets, etc. I really don't want to go to the doctors office because I was flippant about water. So many other ways to get sick.