beginner's questions on backcountry pooping | High Sierra Topix  

beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.

beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Postby guyd » Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi,

Is there a trick of the trade to go pooping without going insane when there are tons of ferocious mosquitos around??

guyd
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Re: beginner's questions on backcountry pooping

Postby rlown » Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Well.. AT already previously posted the drape concept, which works, but the key is to pick a windy, hidden spot, bring a single trowel for the group to dig your hole, do it fast. The bugs won't be as bad as you think. As for the TP. If you're below the fire limit, you can burn it. Other than that, yes, it goes in the trash zip lock. I generally carry a LOT of extra ziplocks for either fish, or trash or whatever might come up.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby maverick » Mon May 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Guyd wrote" Is there a trick of the trade to go pooping without going insane when
there are tons of ferocious mosquitos around??"

My method is to prepare the cat hole, have everything laid out that I will need, then
move away from the area letting the skeeterz follow me or disperse, and the quickly
move in to quickly finish the deed.

The other part of your original question was about how and were to carry the used
TP, and you also asked about carrying it in a bear canister?

I place the used TP into a zip lock, that into another zip lock, and I carry it in the
underside compartment of my top lid.
Never have placed it into my canister or near my food, since a bear is not going to
come after it, and mainly because it can be a source of a variety of viruses, and bacteria
that can cause cross contamination being mixed with food.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby Mike M. » Mon May 23, 2011 7:30 pm

At the risk of sharing too much information . . .

I am blessed with a regular constitution. One **** a day, first thing in the morning when the skeeters are sleeping. That is the trick. Once the sun is up and the air begins to warm, the critters, if they are around, will be out hunting for blood, happy to bite your pink behind.

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Postby guyd » Mon May 23, 2011 8:03 pm

I forgot to repost my second question: in bear country must we put the used toilet paper (in a double zip-lock bags) into the bear canister... with the food?!?
guyd
Topix Acquainted

Postby rlown » Mon May 23, 2011 8:26 pm

guyd wrote:I forgot to repost my second question: in bear country must we put the used toilet paper (in a double zip-lock bags) into the bear canister... with the food?!?

Not with the food. It's separate. I wouldn't put it in with food. Separate ziplocks.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby Bandito » Mon May 23, 2011 9:53 pm

The trick is a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. That usually gets things moving while it's still cool and bug free!
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Postby SSSdave » Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Some of my framed prints are on 40" x 60" foam core boards so have a supply really large 1 mil plastic bags to enclose them to keep dust off. They are also large enough to easily get fully inside so have a couple of purposes in the backcountry. One per your input, if I know squeeters are going to be especially numerous, I'll bring one along or if the weather is likely to be foul. At night if one needs to take a leak and does not have a pee bottle, one is not going to want to go outside if it is raining as it would bring the wet back inside. So I'll get under the plastic bag in my tent vestibule then move out in the rain where only my shoes will get wet. On return, they both are left in the vestibule. And likewise if one needs to 2 anytime of day while hordes of mosquitoes are ready to attack any exposed skin its also safe under the plastic. Additionally I almost always take a fast dip every day in the backcountry. It isn't easy to do where squeeter hordes are about. But under the plastic, I can get undressed then wade in, quickly douse, and bounce back out, in safety.
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Postby sparky » Tue May 24, 2011 8:58 am

Unless it is an emergency morning or night when they are at a minimum
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Postby oldranger » Tue May 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Sometimes when the skeeters are real bad, even in the morning, I've put a little deet on my buns. But be careful what you touch afterwards! :moon:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby DoyleWDonehoo » Wed May 25, 2011 10:46 am

The TP issue is over-rated and over regulated. In high impact areas, there is usually a solar toilet nearby, and if not, most high impact areas are below the burn line, so go ahead and burn it. In high altitude (over 10,000 feet), save used TP until you get lower, then burn or bury it properly. Also use biodegradable TP no matter what. Those little REI rolls are perfectly good. To bury in the cat-hole after a dump, go next to the hole, wipe, put the paper at the bottom and put the dump on top and cover and compact. If there is deer nearby watching, it is best to keep the paper and burn it because after you leave the deer are likely to dig up a snack.
After all this hand-wringing began over TP, I started to note where I went, and when I returned a year or two later, I dug up the spots to see what I could find, which was basically nothing. One time I did find a dime sized very thin piece of fading paper, but it was clear the paper was being naturally recycled, thank you very much. Even with hundreds of people, we are talking about a relatively infinitesimal amount of matter in a vastly huge area naturally designed to efficiently take care of just this sort of thing. There may be exceptions, but that only requires the engagement of brains. Once again, it all comes down to common sense.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Postby markskor » Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 am

FWIW, Always been an advocate for finding a large granite chip, turning it over - and doing my business. Then taking a full nalgene and pouring it over the paper afterwards, (after washing up of course).
TP immediately starts to break down - just falls apart/disintegrates - and no little white flags to litter the backcountry. Re-position large flat rock and done.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Next

Return to Backpacking / Camping 101