Backcountry Cleanliness

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Cleanliness

Post by rlown »

hmm.. if i smell myself, and i don't like what I smell, I wash.

I used to have to do my hair everyday, or i couldn't sleep. Now with little hair, and what is there cut to 3/8" pre-trip, a quick head dunk suffices.

For me, the most important thing is the gallon of water and a towel back at the truck, with a change of clothes for the trip home. Civilization doesn't like stink, so much.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Come to think of it Matt got wet, Mark got wet, I got wetbut I didn't see Tehipite Tom nor rlown near the water (except for russ to fish) the entire trip. Maybe that kept the bears away!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

god, you're getting old. actually, i don't think you were back with your stringer yet. I went in. It was refreshing as heck.. Now, Tom.. :)
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

yeah....

so washing hands every day when we wash up the dishes, once at breakfast, once after dinner.

Rinse off when I am really hot and sweaty, maybe once every two days.

Wash hair maybe once every three days...far from any stream or lake.

But I also wash my sock, undies, and even once in a while my shirt.

And yes, I bringin sleeping clothes so that my bag makes it past the current trip.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

I am somewhere betwee 0 and 1. My longest stretch without a shower was from Steamboat Springs Colorado to Rawlins Wyoming on the CDT.
Since I was totally solo and saw only antelope and elk it really didn't seem to make any sense to clean up.
However i always use Purell hand sanitiser after pooping.
I will admit that after about five days I begin to offend myself a bit.
Now why don't i have a girlfriend?
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Oh yeah! I think last summer all of us that got together used hand sanitizer, especially before cooking for the others in the group.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

rlown wrote:For me, the most important thing is the gallon of water and a towel back at the truck, with a change of clothes for the trip home. Civilization doesn't like stink, so much.
Yeah, agreed. If there's a shower near the trailhead I'll do that, but otherwise I'll do what I can at the car.
Oh yeah! I think last summer all of us that got together used hand sanitizer, especially before cooking for the others in the group.
Right. Not getting sick is key.
Come to think of it Matt got wet, Mark got wet, I got wetbut I didn't see Tehipite Tom nor rlown near the water (except for russ to fish) the entire trip.
Yeah, about that: cold water just isn't fun.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Negative 1?

God, one of the many great things about backpacking is not having to shower, shave or look in a mirror! My theory is that I build a protective layer of filth after 2 days, and that trying to bathe at that point actually makes things worse. Analogize to when orange groves are facing freezing overnight temperatures, and the farmers spray them with water to form a protective ice coating. :smirk:
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

quentinc wrote:Negative 1?

God, one of the many great things about backpacking is not having to shower, shave or look in a mirror! My theory is that I build a protective layer of filth after 2 days, and that trying to bathe at that point actually makes things worse. Analogize to when orange groves are facing freezing overnight temperatures, and the farmers spray them with water to form a protective ice coating. :smirk:
Outstanding =D> :D =D>

Now that's my kind of 'scientific reasoning' ;) :nod:
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Hah! Knew I would be the only 2. While backpacking we almost always jump in a pond, lake, or stream unless it is really cold outside. We are infamous for getting into cold water and there is a way to do it without pain. See I strongly dislike getting into my sleeping bag grubby. Oh, of course have done so but dislike it. So nice feeling clean. When winter snow backpacking or desert backpacking of course there is no washing option.

So what about option 4? Is that like at one of the High Sierra Camps?