1 Night Beginner Backpack?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

1 Night Beginner Backpack?

Post by sambieni »

Anyone have recommendation for 1 night for me with my 8 year old we'd do around labor day weekend (should permits be available)? We'd like to car camp night before we set out and then do 2 days/1 night. This will be her first time backpacking. My daughter has camped before and her hikes are typically only 2-3 miles in Los Angeles area, but I know she can do longer, especially if touch of shade and adventure with dad is there.

Seeking 3-5 miles each day, limited elevation change (definitely below 1000 feet), ideally with lake or stream nearby and a good view or two, ideally can build a campfire. Really want to keep it below 10,000 feet and no major elevation gain.

Things I am considering:
Yosemite North Dome - water source sounds like a challenge
Tuolomne Meadows - camp near Ireland Lake junction
Glen Aulin - likely bit longer distance than like
Cathedral Lakes - elevation may be a concern
SEKI Redwood Canyon - reasonable, but can't do campfires
Little Lakes Valley - sounds optimal, but too high elevation

Open to ideas of what has worked with young ones. Thank you.
whttiger25
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: 1 Night Beginner Backpack?

Post by whttiger25 »

I have a few ideas. First - as far as campfires go, I do happen to know they are totally off limits in all of Yosemite this season. Not sure on Inyo - however my personal opinion is that campfires are probably things we shouldn't be using too much as backpackers looking at the future of fire risk and impact on the environment, especially in a world of climate change. I've been backpacking for 14 years now and generally have found campfires easily replaceable with stargazing and warm clothing :) JMHO.

As far as your hike goes, if you are willing to make the drive, I really like Desolation wilderness, Taking the ferry across Echo Lakes adn then camping at lake of the woods or Lake Aloha, definitely well within your elevation and distance limits. I do not know if the ferry is running in the covid era, and without the ferry you are added 2.5 miles each way of fairly unrewarding hiking, so not worth it for your goals without ferry (plus the ferry is a really fun way to get a kid excited). For a trip further south, I like the Dinkey Lakes loop, ust a few miles to get in to the first dinkey lake, and you can do the loop and head right back out. Nice to have a higher clearance vehicle for the dirt road.

In Yosemite, I like taking Rafferty Creek up to any of the lakes in the Vogelsang area. A bit higher than your mileage and climbing so a stretch, I think about 1200-1500 feet of climbing and 6-7 miles depending on the lake you choose, but I think a very rewarding area to stay in. Cathedral lakes are also a really awesome area. Both these options are guaranteed to have crowds.

Probably plenty of other ideas out there too others will come up with.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Thank you. Really appreciate.
Campfire is a nice to have, but definitely realize not a likely to have. S'mores are just a huge hit w my little one. Perhaps, I will have to inform her they are not always a camping possibility.
Rafferty Creek - a great hike; just did it week ago, but yea, this is way more than my little will want to take on.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Here's a home experiment for you.. Try to do s'mores over a backpacking stove. It should work if you hold them at the right height.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Since you want a “night zero“ in a front-country campground, just have a fire that night.
Just curious about your concern on altitude for your 8-year old; has she demonstrated any trouble on day hikes (or higher-altitude trips of any kind ?). If not, then your “camp the night before” plan may be enough to acclimate her. I took my 12 year-old granddaughter last week; one night at East Fork c.g. , then 3-ish miles in to Chickenfoot Lake (LLV) the next day. She loved the scenery:

ImageInlet to Chickenfoot Lake - Little Lakes Valley

If not for Covid-related closures, I would recommend getting a camping reservation (and wilderness permit) for Mt San Jacinto; it’s a nice ride up (and down) the tram, and a pretty easy hike in to Tamarack Valley or Round Valley camping areas.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

True on the stove w/ s'mores.
Yea, night before camping may suffice if i can get her campfire. again, its a nice to have.

Altitude - I actually get hit hard by it sometimes. I have been at Mammoth with her before and she was fine, but cranky the first day. I assume it was altitude impacted. It can make one quite irritable. 10,000-ish seems like a good cap. I just did a 2 day loop with day one w/ night before up to Vogelsang Pass. Once I hit above 10K elevation, my body was feeling more of it. I just know it makes hiking harder and so if i can stay below as much as possible, well, will make for easier trip.

But maybe LLV is the way to go? If I can do an easy car camp followed by 3-4 miles in/out.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: 1 Night Beginner Backpack? and get permit

Post by giantbrookie »

No campfires anywhere in the backcountry this year (only in developed fireplaces in official drive-to campgrounds in 2020). Whereas Little Lakes Valley is always a winner, wilderness permits may not be that easy to come by (I'd say unlikely, in fact), especially for Labor Day weekend, so here's a few more suggestions.
West flank:
1. Twin Lakes area, Kaiser Wilderness from higher trailhead near Sample Meadow. Up highway 168.
2. (if you have high-clearance vehicle) Dinkey Lakes out of the Dinkey Lakes trailhead. Up highway 168.
3. Jackass Lakes off of the Beasore Road, Ansel Adams Wilderness (Norris trailhead is higher and easier for this). Up highway 41.
4. Corbett Lake and vicinity off of the Kaiser Pass-Edison/Florence Rd. Bit stiffer hike than the above but not by too much. Not too many folks know about this place, so likely to get permit. Up highway 168.

East side.
5. Hiking out of Virginia Lakes (near Bridgeport). You get into beautiful territory with very little hiking, like Little Lakes Valley, but it's less popular.
6. Hiking out of Green Creek (as above). Similar to above but you have hike a bit more (3 mi) to get to the first lake (Green Lake). Probably less popular than Virginia though so may have higher probability of getting permit.
7. Lundy Lake up to the Oneida Lake area. Slightly stiffer hike to get into an area that sort of flies beneath the radar.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Never been there, but what about Matlock Lake out of Onion valley?
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

robow8 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 pm Never been there, but what about Matlock Lake out of Onion valley?
Matlock is very nice but getting a wilderness permit (Kearsarge Pass/Onion Valley) will be very difficult for Labor Day weekend.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

robow8 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 pm Never been there, but what about Matlock Lake out of Onion valley?
The mileage would be about right, but few 8-year olds would be okay with 1500’ elevation gain in a single day.