Cherry -> Kibbie ridge/lake -> SW emigrant

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Cherry -> Kibbie ridge/lake -> SW emigrant

Post by c9h13no3 »

MountainMinstrel wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm I only know what the Forest Service has told the local news.
Yeah, this was a big problem in Big Sur as well. The forest order clearly laid out what was open and what wasn’t, but then local officials interpreted things their own way. I had a campground host tell me “I can show you the news article I read saying the forest is closed”. He insisted I couldn’t hike the trail from the campground, even though it wasn’t named in the order. I had a backup plan, so I just went with that.

If you go out right now, you have to be ready for this type of shenanigans. Backup plans are key, and get an early start from lightly used trailheads. Carry a copy of the forest order with you, and be ready to change plans if confronted. The guy with the gun isn’t the guy to practice your lawyer skills on.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Berkeley
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cherry -> Kibbie ridge/lake -> SW emigrant

Post by Berkeley »

I spoke to staff at Groveland; no issuing of wilderness permits, no backpacking. Stated situation is dynamic and order can be rescinded overnight essentially, pending word from above.

Aside: does anyone know what time of year bourland trailhead is accessible? I’m looking at that as a startIng point to Hyatt/Big Lake.