Day hikes / summits from little lakes valley

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Day hikes / summits from little lakes valley

Post by Ultrajen »

I just switched a backpacking trip from second lake/Palisades to Little Lakes Valley . It's less distance than I wanted but thinking the relatively flat trail is better for a 14-year-old, or me to survive the complaining :) Thinking we can drop the packs at jam lakes and a hike from there. this looks just as beautiful but we wanted to be up there three nights so I'm wondering if someone could recommend day hikes or perhaps one of the easier surrounding peaks. We both rock climb but I wouldn't feel comfortable above class III with him.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Day hikes / summits from little lakes valley

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Ultrajen,
Anywhere in that basin is gorgeous and there are lots of spots to camp around Gem Lakes, so that's a good target. You'll be constrained for where you can go on day hikes by the large amount of snow that will still be lurking. Normally, there are various different routes that one can take to get up to Dade Lake (including ones that require a bit of class 3, if so desired), but it could be that there will still be snow in most of the crevices there. still, it's a nice stroll up toward Ruby Lake and by now there should be plenty of footprints over Mono Pass (see Wandering Daisy's report on her trip to Pioneer Basin). Alternatively, aim for Treasure Lakes. It'll all be good.
Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Day hikes / summits from little lakes valley

Post by maverick »

Most recent TR into LVL will give you an idea of the current conditions:: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... ey#p122571
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org