hman waste in Whitney Zone

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

hman waste in Whitney Zone

Post by don norton »

I am hiking the JMT this Summer can anyone tell me if there is a rule that you carry out solid waste
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

As far as I know, current "pack it out" regulations only apply in the Whitney Zone...and they conveniently provide all with the infamous Wag Bags...free too!
Coming over from the backside, you will not need to "carry" until Trail Camp and subsequently, down all the way to the Portal... look near the old solar crapper...there were piles of them there...some unused too.
Mountainman who swims with trout
gdurkee
Founding Member

waste

Post by gdurkee »

This is something I should know more about, but don't... .

There are definitely no requirements until you reach Whitney on the Forest Service side. I think (!) it's voluntary even there, though. Crabtree has been passing out bags on the NPS side. Compliance has been good. It's critical in areas like Guitar Lake (NPS side) and definitely on top of Whitney and the USFS side. But if you take a bag -- carry it out -- ALL the way out.

g.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

At the Portal there are cans to dispose of your wag bags at the trailhead, keep them handy. :lol: At least when I went a few years ago, I had mine buried in my pack though. :p
Piece of cake.
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

When my brother and I went through last summer, the were requiring the wag bags at Guitar Lake and above. They had a supply of them near the trail junction at Crabtree RS.

Mike
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

When in doubt, carry it out. The Wag bag package is flat and just as easy to pack as a plastic trowel, and it comes with a hand sanitizer so your buddy is protected. There are many stretches on the JMT where it is virtually impossible to dig a decent trench because of the granite. There are also many areas where it is easy to dig, but alot of folks still seem to miss the mark in this department.
http://www.thepett.com/index.php?PageLa ... &pageID=95
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
michaeljf
Topix Novice

waste logistics

Post by michaeljf »

So what are the logistics of "packing it out"? If you are more than a day away from the trailhead, and you're in bear country, and everything...aromatic... is suppose to be kept in your bear can at night, where does a bag of smell like this fit into the picture? In the can, on the ground, lefgt in the pack, where? I haven't had to deal with this requirement yet, but I guess its a future necessity in more and more areas. (I think its one of those things you don't know until somebody tells you. Like where babies come from.) I just can't picture jamming a bag down into the pack along with all the other gear and cinching the lot down real hard. Yosemite says we're suppose to pack out TP now, too, which is almost as odorous, er, onerous. Does anybody really do that?
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

You can hang the used wag bag outside your pack. I carry TP out, double baggies. Be sure you get rid of it at the end of the trip. It gets pretty ripe sitting in the pack all week. :puke:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Yosemite says we're suppose to pack out TP now, too, which is almost as odorous, er, onerous. Does anybody really do that?
Yup! It's not as bad as you are probably imagining.... as Snow Nymph said - just double bag it. I keep used TP in a zip-lock INSIDE another zip lock with my Trowel, and stored on an outside pocket. No big deal. On the few occasions that I have a campfire, I'll burn it then.

There's nothing worse than coming across used toilet paper behind some tree that someone obviously made no attempt to bury. Yuck! :puke:
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

The wag bags at crabtree they were passing out last year were nice, and I assume they will do it again this year. And please yes, if you are asking about TP in your definition of "solid waste," then please yes pack it out. I probably found TP on the JMT in 50 spots last year! :(
Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;