Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Mikem93117
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass

Post by Mikem93117 »

Does anyone have experience with the section of the Pacific Crest trail as it goes through Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass/ Glacier Point? In other words elevations/ distance and days to complete?
Thank you for your reply
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass

Post by AlmostThere »

https://www.pctmap.net/2015/03/check-ou ... -profiles/

As for days to complete, that is wholly dependent upon how many miles per day you actually do. No idea what you are able to do currently nor what you would be able to do after being on the trail for a couple weeks -- sometimes that is two different things.

Also, Badger Pass is a long way from the PCT and there are not a whole lotta options -- I suspect you may end up going through via Hemlock Crossing into the Cora Lake/Isberg Pass through Yosemite option.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

This is a really weird post. Doesn't make sense that a level 3 backpacker would ask such a question as everyone knows that that the pct doesn't go anywhere near Bager Pass or Glacier Point!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Goodness, does anyone actually get out a map and do their own homework anymore?

So here is the kind of question that I will actually answer. Hey guys, I want to go from point A to point B. According to the map it is 30 miles, 5000 feet gain, on what appears to be a good trail. Has anyone actually done it? Is there anything about that trail that would make it harder than it appears? Guidebook xxx says it should take 4 days. Sounds a bit slow to me. What do you think?