Is it too late for the Rae Lakes Loop?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
cdib
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Is it too late for the Rae Lakes Loop?

Post by cdib »

Hi all,

I was thinking of leaving for Road's End early Saturday morning this upcoming weekend, and doing the Rae Lakes Loop in 1 night. I know there was a big storm recently, but the weather is looking sunny and warm this week. Does anyone know what the conditions will be like. Will Glen Pass be passable?

Thanks!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is it too late for the Rae Lakes Loop?

Post by AlmostThere »

That depends. I suspect that asking the question means you have not backpacked this time of year before, which means you likely have not got much experience with winter weather. Solo, weather iffy (you can't go entirely by forecasts in shoulder seasons), snow in the high country already, no experience -- ambitious goal -- either give yourself more time, or don't go.

Glen Pass is always passable, if you have the gear and experience. I assume you mean passable by someone who's not got mountaineering gear, to which I could not answer, not having been up there... but there is definitely snow and ice in the high country right now.
cdib
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by cdib »

Got it. Will have to postpone this one until Summer next year. Thanks for the advice.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

When I'm unsure I just plan on an out and back, and if I make it cool, and if not that's cool too!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

fiootprints.jpg
lake mamie.jpg
Just a taste of what it looks like at 9,000 feet today. Lakes starting to ice over.
Notice the footprints...punch through crust like cheap Styrofoam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout