Eight day loop walk planning.

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
ltm01
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Eight day loop walk planning.

Post by ltm01 »

I am planning an eight or nine day loop walk out of Lodgepole and have narrowed it down to two options. One is based on the Deadman Canyon loop. The trip reports I have read describe it as a five day walk, I have eight days. I would appreciate recommendations on possible day walks from the suggested camp sites listed below.

I think I would be level 3, class 3 experience. I am experienced with topographical map, compass and GPS. I do at least one week long walk a year in the arid regions of South Australia, often off track. I do about 8 weekend walks a year. This is carrying all food and equipment in a rucksack, some of these are also off track. I have done eight Himalayan treks over the years, four of which I have led myself in the Indian Himalaya at the 3-4000m altitude, including camping self sufficiently for 4 nights (that is not in tea houses). This has all been on established pony trails. I am aware of the importance of acclimatisation to altitude. I plan to begin this second week of August.

Hope I have provided enough info here. I don't want any really long days, I would like time for photography first thing in the morning and evening. As this is my first trip I don't need anything off track or challenging navigation wise in order to enjoy the scenery. I enjoy forest as much as lakes and the mountains above the tree line.

What hard copy map would you recommend I get?

Day 1: Lodgepole to Ranger Lake via Cahoun and Silliman passes. Or would stopping at Twin Lakes and doing an afternoon climb be worthwhile?
Day 2: Ferguson Ck.
Day 3: Upper Ranger Meadow.
Day 4: Bearpaw Meadow.

So I don't want to return to Lodgepole on the fifth day. One option seems to be Bearpaw Meadow to Hamilton or Precipice Lakes for the night then back again the next day? I am happy to spend a last night at Lodgepole before returning to Visalia the next day.
Thank you in advance.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Eight day loop walk planning.

Post by maverick »

What hard copy map would you recommend I get?
Mt. Whitney High Country Trail Map by Tom Harrison.
I would appreciate recommendations on possible day walks from the suggested camp sites listed below.
I don't want any really long days, I would like time for photography first thing in the morning and evening. As this is my first trip I don't need anything off track or challenging navigation wise in order to enjoy the scenery.
As requested no off-trail, except for Boy Scout Peak climb and a side trip to Big Bird Lake.

Day 1: Lodgepole to Ranger Lake via Cahoun and Silliman passes. Or would stopping at Twin Lakes and doing an afternoon climb be worthwhile?

Ranger Lake and Lost Lake, these are the trailed highlights of the area.

Day 2: Ferguson Ck.

Sugarloaf Valley is dusty and dry, at least until you get closer to Roaring River area.

Day 3: Upper Ranger Meadow.

Side trip up to Big Bird Lake would be fun, also Tamarack Lake is worth visiting on the other side of Elizabeth.

Day 4: Bearpaw Meadow

Hamilton and especially Precipice is very pretty, Hamilton may be crowded. Eagle Scout Peak is a fun climb with great views, since you mention climbing. Staying at Buck Creek campsite is better than Bearpaw, which can be very crowded and noisy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I did the Deadman loop. I hated Sugarloaf to Roaring River. Were I to do it again, I believe I would do Wolverton to Pear to Moose and across the Tablelands to Big Bird, then down Deadman, then up Cloud Canyon, over Colby *or* perhaps navigate Coppermine to Elizabeth Pass. With eight days going over to the HST and climbing up to Kaweah Gap then exiting via the HST becomes a possibility, if navigating the cross country passes in the area isn't to your liking (some of the cross country passes are less straightforward than others).

I read a trip report here by a fellow who went over Silliman and navigated into the Tablelands from that side of the pass, without going through Sugarloaf. That too sounds like a better time to me than marching miles in burnt-out forest in silty sand.

Have you considered this? https://calitrails.com/2013/02/03/circl ... canyon-np/
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Almost There's suggestions will provide better scenery IMHO than your original route.

I just edited my post, I was thinking 5 days, not 8. You have tons of options with that amount of time. Tabelands and surrounding lakes is fantastic, Hamilton lakes->little 5 lies is also fantastic.

Try to stay high and hit as many lakes as you can.