Scary river crossing on the River Trail?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Scary river crossing on the River Trail?

Post by Tollermom »

Hi. I am planning an overnight trip to Thousand Island Lake right after Labor Day. I am deciding between the High Trail or River Trail..or loop both. The friend I am going with is not a fan of river crossings amd I have never crossed one. I searched some of the 259 posts about "river trail" and thought it simpler to ask after going through so many. With the snow season piling up, what might I expect in Sept? Is the San Joaquin wide, deep, strong? Scary?? Higher than my knees? Thanks for your input.
Last edited by Tollermom on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Scary river crossing on the River Trail?

Post by maverick »

Don't worry, there will be no scary crossings, have a fun trip, if you want to read up on river crossing for future reference, read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6043
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Thanks for the reassurance Maverick, and the link to safe crossing practices. Really looking forward to this trip after seeing so many beautiful pictures. As a side note, I see in your tagline a reminder to use the reconn form. I did just that when my friend and I did Whitney summer before last.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

As a side note, I see in your tagline a reminder to use the reconn form. I did just that when my friend and I did Whitney summer before last.
Thank you for using it! :thumbsup:
Keep a bear safe camp, bears are really busy at 1000 Is Lake, especially with big crowds, camp away from the shore, where most people will set up camp.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Tollerman - At what juncture would you expect to cross the San Joaquin ?

Most maps don't show the bridge over the San Joaquin below Shadow Lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

o my gosh! There's a bridge? In reading posts I saw references to ' be careful crossing the river' early in the year. I assumed I'd be getting wet. Thanks for the clarification. edit: actually on the Inyo Forest Service page of the River Trail talks about river crossings. "Climb to the headwaters of the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River by following the River Trail to Thousand Island Lake. Starting from shuttle bus stop #1, the River Trail and Shadow Lake Trail are combined from Agnew Meadows to a trail junction about 3 miles upstream, where the trails split and the River Trail continues to follow the San Joaquin River. At Thousand Island Lake, the River Trail joins the Pacific Crest and John Muir Trails.
Water crossings may be high during spring snow melt. This is an active bear area so you must secure your food and refuse in bear resistant food storage containers."