Fish gut lakes

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Joh5ny
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Fish gut lakes

Post by Joh5ny »

Has anyone been to Fish Gut Lakes? What did you think of them? Did you encounter any people and are there any routes that go right out of Lake Sabrina other than marked trails?
Thanks very much, John
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Fish gut lakes

Post by Eiprahs »

I visited Fishgut Lakes last year. I describe my route in, with photos, in this trip report:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11367

I looked at routes from Sabrina and concluded it was easier to take the main trail past Blue Lake

There are a lot of small brookies. On my way out I met five guys going in to play with the fishies.

The lakes don't seem to get a lot of use, but there are faint fisherman's trail and other signs of use around them. The basin to the west looks gentle and would be a great place to explore during flower bloom.

Here's the middle Fishgut Lake from its outlet:

Have a great trip!
Dave
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Fish gut lakes

Post by kpeter »

I've been to them on a dayhike from a camp at Dingleberry. From DIngleberry we headed pretty much due north which took us up the slope on a long switchback, then west over the ridge to the lakes. Pretty straightforward. I can't imagine there is an easier way to get to them. I thought that they and Bottleneck and Schober were interesting but not especially scenic. I much prefer Baboon and Sunset, for example, or Blue Heaven and Hell Diver. However, the nice photos in Eiphrah's report have me doubting my impressions from a quarter century ago.