Beginner backpacking on Memorial Day

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
gvv
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Beginner backpacking on Memorial Day

Post by gvv »

Hi,

Me and my wife are beginner backpackers and are planning to backpack from Agnew Meadows-Thousand Island Lake-Ediza Lake-Agnew Meadows loop over 3 days and 2 nights on the Memorial Day weekend. Considering the dry conditions we've been having, what are the chances of having the Reds Meadow Road open by then and the trail being snow free? Are there any other obstacles that we'll need to look out for? If there is snow on the trail, what gear is recommended? Crampons, maybe?

Thanks in advance!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Beginner backpacking on Memorial Day

Post by maverick »

Hi Gvv,

Welcome to HST!
Road opened on 25 May in 2014 so it is very possible that it will be open by Memorial Day.
Being beginners I would not advise that you attempt to do this hike with no snow experience
at all, if there is any residual snow on some parts of the trail your trip becomes a crosscountry
trip and with no previous knowledge of the area and having no navigation skills you could get
yourselves into trouble.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gvv
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Beginner backpacking on Memorial Day

Post by gvv »

Thanks Maverick. I'll wait till May for some trail condition reports and then decide whether to continue with this plan.