Storing Items At Night?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Storing Items At Night?

Post by InsaneBoost »

When backpacking where do you all normally store everything? For instance we plan on keeping our backs inside the tent. Possibly use them to prop our legs on, maybe as a pillow or something to lean on, and to simply keep it out of the elements and away from insects and marmots (I hear they can be little S's).

Obviously I know the Bear Can along with anything scented need to be out of the tent. I assume this doesn't apply to the cooker, as you're just heating water in it (or that's my plan). But what about pots and things like that? Obviously the Bear Can is a little tough with a bear to walk off with, but I feel like pots and such it could easily do so.

Is there a special way to store them? I've read some people just sit them either on top or next to their bear cans at night.

Any info on this? It's the one thing I can't seem to make my mind up about.

Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Storing Items At Night?

Post by rlown »

You're overthinking it. Pack generally stays out of the tent. Marmots and rodents don't seem to bother mine where i go, at least not at night. Pot and pan generally just get put on a the kitchen rock. Stove stays out as well. If I think something might lurk, I carry a length of webbing that i tie to a rock or tree and then weave through my gear as i see fit. This is just an alarm system to wake me up and then throw rocks as necessary.

Trekking poles stuck in the ground upright to avoid rodent chewing on the cork.

Not enough room in the tent to bring in the pack, and i wouldn't anyway.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Can't speak about pots/stove (don't carry them) but I generally leave my pack outside the tent. On occasion, I have put my pack under my legs in the tent for more insulation.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I do half and half really. Pack in and out of the tent. If it's going to rain then certainly in the tent. Since the tent I use now has 2 vestibules I might put my pack and poles under one side.

Pot always stays out. As smelly as my pot is because I eat everything in it I have never had a bear mess with it. I would think after so many hundreds of days out there I would have something happen but nope. My stove might be in my tent or more often in my bear can if space permits.

Poles I normally leave leaned against a tree. It has not been completely without incident though. This huge mouse or perhaps straight rat at Sphinx Lakes was messing with my camp. Scared the **** out of me more than once when it leaped on top of my tent. I had my poles leaned against a branch and it ate one of the loop straps that go around your hand completely off at the handle and took it with it.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I throw my pack inside to have the water (hydration bladder) nearby and also sometimes under my feet. Stove and pot are usually outside, with something over the burner to keep random rain out of the jets (an unexpected downpour kept my stove out of commission for three days on a 9 day trip, once... it started to work again and sputtered for a few trips after). Shoes in the vestibule.

In the hammock, pack is hung at the head end empty and stuff goes in the compactor bag (pack liner) if it's not being used or in the bear can/raccoon bag.

Rampaging marmots and deer in some areas will warrant different treatment for the gear.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

The pack, pots, stove, and pole are all outside. I put a rock in the pots so they don’t blow away if it gets really windy. The cup and utensils are inside the pack. When I used a Coleman Exponet stove, I’d bring it in the tent on cold nights. I’ve never had anything outside the tent disturbed by animals at night.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

The very few times I've ever brought my pack into my tent was when rain was eminent. Normally, it just leans against a rock with nothing scented in it. The kitchen was packed up into the pots, lid locked on and put next to the bear can.

I have all new gear, but I doubt my habits will change except the pack will go into the vestibule with the rain cover on if wetness is pending. Obviously, camera gear goes into the tent.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Backpack and gear in or out of tent at night?
Whatever floats yer boat but...
If left outside, take everything out of pockets and/or open up all zippers.
Nothing worse than finding a hole where some critter chewed through your backpack looking for smells...give them easy access.

Agree with Russ too about hiking poles. Stick them upright in the ground - prevents un-seen rodent/deer gnawing of salty handles.
BTW, upright poles also work great for overnight sock drying too...one sock to a pole!
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

This topic has been discussed before. But the only time I have brought my pack into the tent was last summer when using my Copper Spur 3 person tent with my son and it was raining as we broke camp. During the night the packs were in their garbage bags for protection from the chance of precipitation. The only time I have had food in the tent has been during extended periods of precipitation and then it was in the vestibule. I hate doing that as I do everything I can to avoid food odors associated with the tent. Sticking your poles in the ground works great until a marmot decides to push over the poles to get access to the salt on the handles (it has happened to me. I once forgot to store my boots in the vestibule and woke up to some chewed up boots. I once had a bear attack my tent when I was away from camp. That particular tent had never had food in it at anytime in its history. All cooking stuff is left outside and has never been touched. Last summer on my first trip of the season a small critter did some chewing on the shoulder straps of my pack and the small pouch attached to the straps that holds my camera.

My point is that there is no guarantee short of storing everything in a bear, mouse, marmot proof container that your gear won't get chewed, eaten, or slobbered upon.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I always bring my pack (and poles) into my tent to avoid dampness and critter damage. My 2 person tent has enough room even with my 65 pound dog. I have been 100% careful to never ever have any food not in the canister or double ziplock bagged in my pack (or pockets) so I am not concerned about lingering smells.