Solo Basecamp>Day Hike>Injured

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Solo Basecamp>Day Hike>Injured

Post by maverick »

Many folks go out into a central location and from there go one longer day
hikes to check out a basin near-by, climb a peak, or other features of interest
to them in the area.

Besides making sure that these day hikes are included in the itinerary that you
left at home ;), do you take all the gear that you will need with you to survive
away from your basecamp in case you get injured?

Many times I have seen hikers in the back-country only carrying water, a few
bars (or other snacks), possibly clothing, and a flash light, that's it.

What do you carry on you excursions when away for several hours, and miles
away from base camp?

Do you carry shelter? Pancho tart for example.

What about pad and sleeping bag?

Extra meals and stove?

Enough clothing to survive several nights in the open if injured?

What about a first aid kit?

How prepared are you when going out on day hikes?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Basecamp>Day Hike>Injured

Post by rlown »

I'd say that if you're carrying your sleeping bag and pad and stove, your not basecamping.

i like the pancho idea, but if it's threatening, my fleece and rain gear works fine.

I watched you, Mav, walk up out of Island/Finger lk to what i recall was the three sisters. Not sure that was on your itinerary, but at least you were successful. You had two others with you on that excursion.

The one thing you left of the list of questions was "take a friend."

I'd also add that if you go away from your basecamp, leave a note in your tent about where approximately you were heading. Yeah, carry a pen and paper. That'll be faster than calling a distraught loved one at home asking "where is s/he?"

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Basecamp Solo>Day Hike>Injured

Post by maverick »

Yes, a friend is good, but my main concern here is solo Russ, should have
clarified, updated subject to reflect this.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Re: Solo Basecamp>Day Hike>Injured

Post by sparky »

Even when I am "basecamping" all my stuff goes with me when exploring. So yeah that isnt basecamping i guess. The only time I have deviated from that and left my tent/bag/pad I spent the night on rock. Murphy law.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I don't bag peaks much so I don't do many day hikes out there that have much risk involved.

I personally do not take a bag, stove, or shelter though. Those are what constitute the basecamp.

I think part of this decision should be based on weather patterns. I wouldn't leave behind my shelter if I felt like there was a reasonable chance that a storm would come in while I was gone. Conversely, I think the Sierra is a fairly forgiving mountain range so even spending a night without shelter in the middle of summer would most likely not be too dangerous, moreso just very unpleasant. I understand that some people might find that assumption to be irresponsible.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ucangler
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by ucangler »

During my previous backpacking trips that involved day hikes (flyfishing) from a given base camp, I have actually left my sleeping pad, tent, and food (bearbin) at base camp.

I do take along my backpack that contains first aid kit, water filter, fishing gear, my jetboil, toilet paper, beanie, gloves, some wool long undershirts/pants in dry bag, extra wool socks, headlamp, and 1 extra meal than needed just in case I need to stay longer. Basically, everything except the 3 items i listed above.

When I go fly fishing for a day in local waters here in So Cal, I carry the same gear in dry bags in my day pack when im in my waders. So, I find it only natural to carry the same stuff when I day hike from a base camp in the Sierras.

Here is me in uniform and gear on a day hike/flyfishing in the good ol Angeles National Forest. You can see my default pack I go everywhere with. It would be the same in the Sierras regarding day hiking from a base camp, but instead of the day back, it would be my backpack minus tent, food, and sleeping gear.
FYI, I'm nymphing a deep pool about 4-5 ft deep on the opposite side of the bank where I am.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Day hiking from a basecamp is a common practice on my backpacks, but I don't go solo all that often. I do list potential day hikes on my itinerary, but don't bring along all my gear. Day pack with a pancho (my rain gear anytime) , fleece, some snacks, fishing gear, water filter and bottle, head lamp, and my camera. I do carry matches or a lighter as I do enjoy my pipe while contemplating the hatch ;) so I could have a fire if possible. The decision to do a day hike is based on previous and predicted weather. If the weathers bad I cancel the day hike or come hack earlier, but I have been caught a few times away from camp in some good storms. Spent a couple of hours in upper Pioneer Basin in a pancho lean to with a buddy, many years ago, but we had a blast watching the storm roll in from our make do shelter.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Mdmustang302
Topix Novice

Post by Mdmustang302 »

Last edited by Mdmustang302 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"..The mountains are calling, and I must go..." -John Muir
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mdmustang302 wrote:
When I returned I found someone had gone through my stuff and taken my trekking
poles, headlamp, and water filter..
Man, that is so lame.

Mdmustang302
Topix Novice

Post by Mdmustang302 »

Yeah I was definitely not a happy camper haha..
"..The mountains are calling, and I must go..." -John Muir