Beginners Backpacking Hike?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Beginners Backpacking Hike?

Post by texan »

I forgot another one. Baboon Lakes above Blue lake is also a nice spot to go too!!!!

Texan
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Great feedback everyone, I'll take your advice and start off slow and build up from there to ensure she indeed does like backpacking and isn't going to hate it the first time we do something.

I'll take a look at all the options you have given and see which one she likes best and we'll go from there.

Thanks again
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Im from Fresno too and because of work im rarely able to do the long trips. As a result Ive done a few overnight trips in the area that Giant Brookie mentioned.

From Beasore road above bass lake you can access several trailheads in Ansel Adams Wilderness. Click my name and check out my trip reports if u want to see Isberg, Jackass, and Fernandez TH destinations.

They are not quite the same epic scenery you will find on the east side but still beautiful and most of the hikes are moderate, with lots of options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sittingbull »

Did you go? Where did you end up going? How was it?
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

No we haven't gone yet, this is just for future. We might try something in August, but I'm not sure yet. I'm sure a lot of stuff requires permits and from my understanding those are all taken for now? Granted there's an area around the Sierra Vista Scenic Highway in the Ansel Adams Wilderness I might like to try. It's near Jackass Meadow I believe.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

InsaneBoost wrote:No we haven't gone yet, this is just for future. We might try something in August, but I'm not sure yet. I'm sure a lot of stuff requires permits and from my understanding those are all taken for now? Granted there's an area around the Sierra Vista Scenic Highway in the Ansel Adams Wilderness I might like to try. It's near Jackass Meadow I believe.
Yes there are lots of trailheads in that area leading to some nice lakes. Jackass Lakes TH, Norris TH, Fernandez TH, and Isberg TH to name a few. For a shorter hike try Jackass Lakes from the Norris TH. You can get there via Jackass TH but its a much steeper hike than Norris.

The lakes, Upper JA especially, are beautiful and have decent trout fishing.

Im pretty familiar with that area and glad to help if you have questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted

Beginners Backpacking Hike?

Post by Sittingbull »

InsaneBoost wrote:No we haven't gone yet, this is just for future. We might try something in August, but I'm not sure yet. I'm sure a lot of stuff requires permits and from my understanding those are all taken for now? Granted there's an area around the Sierra Vista Scenic Highway in the Ansel Adams Wilderness I might like to try. It's near Jackass Meadow I believe.

You can check permit availability online. Lots of places have permits available.