Tent Questions

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Tent Questions

Post by thepreciselife »

Thank you for all the opinions!

Went home last night and packed the tent in the sack without the poles, and put them in
the pack vertically along the side and counter balanced them so it feels even now
and I got it all to fit in nicely.
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Post by J ney »

Great!!! Have fun!
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Post by Brien »

I don't carry my tent in a stuff sack. I fold my tent flat and put it in my pack. I then pack over it. The poles fit inside to one side.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tent Questions

Post by Ska-T »

I pack my tent in the closet. :nod: That way my pack is 3 to 7 lbs lighter. Actually it is lighter than that because a tent often requires a larger pack due to the weight and volume of the tent. With no tent and a lighter pack then I can also use lighter boots/shoes, which further lightens the load and makes walking easier.

Instead of a conventional tent try a lightweight tarp or tarp/tent made from silnylon (or Cuben fiber if you want to lighten your wallet). A 2-man tarp weighs about 1 lb and fits in stuff sack about the size of an iPad.
:soapbox:

OK. I'll stop now. I just wanted you to know there are alternatives out there that make a lot of sense depending on your personality.

-Scott