Tent Questions | High Sierra Topix  

Tent Questions

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.

Tent Questions

Postby thepreciselife » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:31 pm

1. What is the best way to carry a tent in/on your pack? I have a sleeping bag in the bottom compartment, and a pad under (outside) and ill possibly be attaching the bear canister on top, my tent doesnt fit in its case, in my backpack but it would if I took it out of the case w. tubes.

2. When backpacking the Sierra, and leaving your site for a day trip/exploring, do you leave your stuff at your site or pack up and take it all for the day?
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.

thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Re: Tent Questions

Postby maverick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:19 pm

I carry my tent on the outside, on the side of my backpack, under the compression
straps.

On day hikes, most of the time especially if solo, I take my tarp/pancho, sleeping
bag & mat, extra food, water & purifier, extra clothes, and other essential gear,
just in case I get injured and cannot get back to my basecamp.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby thepreciselife » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:26 pm

But leave your tent behind?
Not until you take that first breathe of fresh air surrounded by nature, will you realize this is where you were meant to be.
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Postby J ney » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:37 pm

1. I stuff my tent in a compression sack and keep it in my pack - the poles I stand in the bag as well vertically (or outside the pack in a side pocket with compression straps).

2. Generally I camp in areas where there are few people so I always leave my tent up during day hikes - I would imagine I would do the same at a more established campground but - fortunately - I haven't had to stay at those for more than a night.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Postby J ney » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:38 pm

For reference, I have a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Postby thepreciselife » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Ah yes, why didnt I think of that, leave the tent in the sack, then pack the poles separately,
that would def work.

Well we're going still has 80% of the permits available so I doubt itd be crowded at all, guess
that's just something I'll determine once I'm there and asses the situation haha

I doubt anyone at 9,600 ft would even be interested in stealing someones tent haha
thepreciselife
Topix Acquainted

Postby maverick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:47 pm

But leave your tent behind?

Yes, my pancho can be used as rain gear and as a tarp.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby ucangler » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Placement of ones gear is usually limited to the design of the backpack. Which takes some creativity to place all your gear for every person its different. That said,

My pack is the middle one.

Thankfully, I have a cheap (8 year old?) Jansport Klamath that outperforms all of the packs I have browsed in stores and online, simply because of the 4 external compartments plus 2 mesh side pockets big enough for nalgene bottle holders PLUS fly rod case. I find it one of the most practical packs I've seen and my friends also seem to agree. They have to dig through 1 large compartment to find things, while mine are on the outside.

Given this info, it would help if you told us what type of pack you have, so we can see the design and then think of a way to best fit the tent with the specific design. In my case, you can see how I packed my tent and pad.
Attachments
1030383.jpg
1030383.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Backpack.jpg
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Tent Questions

Postby J ney » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:36 pm

thepreciselife wrote:I doubt anyone at 9,600 ft would even be interested in stealing someones tent haha

Agreed!! I've never worried much about this happening. Mostly solid folks in the backcountry and stealing in the backcountry could very easily end up as manslaughter (in my mind) if conditions turn (not sure if there's precedence on this).
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:52 pm

I put my shelter where it won't be pulled off if I shove through tree branches, manzanita or willows, or torn by the odd granite sharp edge.

I use trekking poles for my shelter so don't need to fuss with tent poles.

If in Little Yosemite Valley or other designated camping area, I take it all with me - the only place in the entire range I've heard of theft has been in sites within a day's walk of a busy "metropolitan" area - such as Yosemite Valley - where hoards of non-backpackers roam. Otherwise I don't worry about theft.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby markskor » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Thoughts:
Since the tent (possibly still wet from previous night's "dew") is the last big thing packed, also goes in a side pocket outside the main pack compartment.

Tent poles as well as my fishing rod, straps on the other side of my backpack - asymetrical carry.
BTW, could not find a tent pole stuffsack anywhere (long and thin) to carry just the poles and stakes so had one made.

When at camp and setting up my tent...Plastic groundcloth (which is the very last thing packed as can still be muddy) comes out first. BTW, it lives folded up, just atop my sleeping bag - in my SB comparttment, where there is always just enough room, even when my pack is already full and closed up tight.
Then my TT Rainbow comes out from the side pocket...lives alone in its own (origional but) now slightly shortened stuffsack. Tent comes out and the stuffsacks, one from poles and the small one from the stakes goes immediately into the tent stuffsack and first thing stashed into the now set-up tent...(Just a personal quirk but prevents loss/ haviing to look around later.)

Sleeping bag only gets unfolded inside tent...never comes out of the tent when not in its stuffsack unless needs to be dried out.

When dayhiking/ leaving a wilderness camp for the day (usually out fishing), I too leave my tent set-up - (LYV maybe not) - vestibule zipped up too (the ol out of sight, out of mind theory) but, leave the very bottom tent zipper slightly open - prevents marmots and squirrels from possibly gnawing an entrance hole (again - long story), though never have had anything disturbed by any two legged varmit.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby Wandering Daisy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 pm

If I am doing a long day's hike I will take the sleeping pad and enough clothing to survive a night out. All the warm clothing will not do much good if you have to sit on cold ground. For short hikes away from camp or fishing near camp, I only take a rain jacket. Even if within sight of your tent you can get very wet if caught in a downpour. Plus my jacket has tons of big pockets to carry a snack, fishing stuff, and essentials.

Everything goes inside my pack except fishing pole, wading shoes, and water bottle. I do cross country travel and do not want to lose or ruin my gear. I would put the fishing pole inside if it fit. I have a waterproof tent sack so if it is wet it will not get other stuff wet. Plus my sleeping bag and clothing bag go inside a garbage compactor plastic bag so the tent does not even touch them. I have an inflatable sleeping pad that I put inside the sleeping bag stuff sack. If you plan on doing bushwhacking, buy a large enough pack to hold everything.

If going on a long day's hike I will stuff my sleeping bag instead of leaving it loose in the tent. Animals are a bigger problem than people as far as having your stuff messed with. Marmots will chew anything that has sweat (salt) on it. Because they are so attracted to salt (including urine) I will not pee near my tent. I hang my trekking poles in a tree at night. Pack, shoes and everything else go inside the tent. Of course, food or bear canister and pots and pans stay outside. I put a fair sized rock on my pot lid, and put spoon and cup inside.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Next

Return to Backpacking / Camping 101