Emigrant Wilderness Backpacking Permits

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Emigrant Wilderness Backpacking Permits

Post by rlown »

It is not obvious. Just spent 10 mins spinning around the sites including recreation.gov. sucks.

look at : http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/stani ... width=full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either way, just call them as recreation.gov has no clue evidently.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

As it turns out, Emigrant is pretty easy to get a permit in (as of last June). At Groveland you can call up a couple of days before for the permit. They will also leave it in the early pickup box for you to snag early in the morning before they are open. Grab and go. Its not as risky as you might think.

Also keep in mind that the wilderness you start in is your permitting wilderness. Start in Emigrant, go into Yose, you're OK. Seems odd, but it works.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Permitting for the Emigrant is easy.

Permitting for the Kibbie Lake/Cherry Lake/Eleanor is also easy, but those trailheads have a quota. You call Groveland RS and they put it in the night box, however, so easy. and you can cross the boundary into Yosemite no problem.

For permits into Kings/Sequoia from Jennie Lake Wilderness or surrounding NF - different story. You have to get a permit for the park, from the park, entering on whatever wilderness trail you are using. No permit needed for Jennie Lakes but you need one for the parks.

I always call. The NF websites are an atrocity.
venturefar
Topix Regular

Post by venturefar »

I'm not sure about getting a permit at Groveland for Kibbie as I have have never hiked out of there. For Kennedy Meadows or Crabtree trailheads I've always used Summit Ranger station on HWY 108 right at the Pinecrest turnoff. There are no quotas and getting a permit is super easy. You can even call ahead and get a permit over the phone if you're passing through before or after business hours. 209.965.3434 then 0 to speak to a human. They'll put your permit in the drop box outside. All you have to do is sign it and your good to go.
@aguabonita
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Ikan Mas wrote:Also keep in mind that the wilderness you start in is your permitting wilderness. Start in Emigrant, go into Yose, you're OK. Seems odd, but it works.
It's been awhile since I went from Emigrant through Yose at Dorothy Lake, then into Hoover. If I did that now, am I under Yose bear canister requirements when I'm at Dorothy? I have always used tandem suspension and don't want a bear canister just for Dorothy.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Bear can requirements in Yosemite are still in effect, regardless of where you get your permit. If you camp on the FS side and day-trip into Yosemite, then you do not need the bear can.

Personally, I have encountered many bears in the area (down valley from Dorothy Lake). One trip I ran into one bear per mile, four total in two hours! Lots of valley bears are relocated here. I would use a bear can, even if not required for this area.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Bear can requirements in Yosemite are still in effect, regardless of where you get your permit. If you camp on the FS side and day-trip into Yosemite, then you do not need the bear can.

Personally, I have encountered many bears in the area (down valley from Dorothy Lake). One trip I ran into one bear per mile, four total in two hours! Lots of valley bears are relocated here. I would use a bear can, even if not required for this area.
Thanks WD, that's where I've seen bears too, and the rules as you stated were what I figured they were. It's just that my suspension gear is much lighter than a canister and I'm always careful to stack the rope just as carefully as if I were on a climb, so I don't have problems with it tangling. I rarely camp above the tree line, at least in bear country. Thanks again! ;)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NPS states:
"Food" includes all food and drinks, regardless of packaging, along with
trash, toiletries, and other scented items. These items must be stored in either
an allowed bear-resistant food container or food locker. Hanging food is illegal
throughout Yosemite.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Thanks, Mav.
lensman137
Topix Acquainted

Post by lensman137 »

Last year, during the height of the fire season, everything south of Emigrant had severe backcountry campfire restrictions in place, including Ansel Adams and John Muir, and particularly Kings and Sequoia NPs. The ranger at Summit ranger station told me that even in drought and high fire years, such restrictions are seldom in place in Emigrant, and that Emigrant was probably the easiest area to get a permit issued -- unless there is a local fire underway. Just FYI.