Ideas for taking my daughter on her first backpacking trip

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Clubb
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Ideas for taking my daughter on her first backpacking trip

Post by Clubb »

So my daughter will be 5 in August and I'm gettin pretty excited about taking her backpacking with me this summer. She's been car camping and on plenty of day hikes. She's a great little hiker.

For our first outing I'm thinkin a 1-2 mile overnighter. Ideally, a lake setting with fishing opportunity. Maybe somewhere we could even build a little campfire for smores. Basically, a cool spot to take a little one.

I live in Carson City, NV, but dont mind driving a bit to get to a trailhead. Ideas?

Thanks.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Re: Ideas for taking my daughter on her first backpacking trip

Post by ndwoods »

Hm....I took my 3 yr granddaughter to Cathedral Lakes in Yosemite. A few Neccos helped her up the hill.:) And she got to lead back down the Budd Lake trail by following the ducks on the way out.
I think my other suggestions would all be on the west side...
Have fun....I started my kids at 4 and 5 and my grandkids at 3...:)
Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

The hike into May Lake is very easy. It should be an adventure for a 5 year old.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I doubt campfires will be allowed again this year with our ongoing drought, you will need to check before you hike.
The 20 lakes Basin off 120 is lovely for kids, the water taxi across Saddlebag and little elevation change would be a great intro. Someone else had a TR with small children; they camped at Greenstone, the first lake, and dayhiked the rest. An easy drive from Carson City, and just outside the park so dogs are allowed.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Even closer to home would be Round Top or Winnemucca Lake off Carson Pass. Each is a little a mile or two from the trailhead---and nice alpine location.

Here's Winnemucca:

And here's Round Top, a half mile further along

Don't worry---these were taken in October after the first snowfall, your experience will be less icy!

You should also consider Granite Lake off Blue Lakes Road near Carson Pass.

Or Roosevelt or Lane Lakes out of Leavitt Meadows, near 108

And when she wants to hike a bit more than two miles, there are many more opportunities!

We have trip reports on all of these trails on our website in the destinations section
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

We took our son to May Lake when he was 3 and he loved it. However, this was in September, after the High Sierra Camp was closed and we were the only people camping there. For his first trip at 2 years 9 months, we took him up Lyell Canyon to the junction. I"ll second the 20 Lakes Basin suggestion. Also, Little Lakes Valley is a great place to backpack with children.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Granite Lake in Mokelumne Wilderness is a great kid-friendly destination. 2 miles in, ~500' of gain. Beautiful spot, lots of easy rambling in the area. Took my son there for his first 2 backpacking trips.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Little Lake Valley would be the perfect place for you. Very easy hiking, usually see
small kids doing day hikes with their parents there all the time. Good fishing, and the
scenery in outstanding. http://WildernessApertures.com/img/s10/ ... 9537-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

You can drive south on 395 to 108. Entering at Leavitt Meadows is very flat and a short distance to Roosevelt and Lane Lakes. It is also a short distance to Secret Lake and Poore Lake. A friend had good fishing luck last spring at all locations, particularly Poore.

WD will tell you that it's a bit sandy in places and you will encounter evidence of stock animals. These do not bother me. I enjoy the area.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Before you go either know in advance your daughter's response to altitude or read up on acute mountain sickness (AMS). I took my son and daughter to Little Lakes Valley for their first backpacking trip when they were 4 and 7, respectively. My son got altitude sick the first night. The parking lot for that trip is about 10,000 ft. I found out later that my son is OK going from sea level to 7,500 ft the first day, another 1,000 to 1,500 ft the 2nd day, and by the 3rd day he is OK with the higher Sierra altitudes.

Years later my friend took his son and wife to Little Lakes Valley for their first backpack. His son got altitude sick and to a lesser extent, the wife. So, be informed, be aware that your child may have limits, and be ready to drop elevation.

That said, all the kids enjoyed their experience, caught fish, and still backpack (in my family's case, 22 yrs later).