Ideas for taking my daughter on her first backpacking trip

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Clubb
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Ideas for taking my daughter on her first backpacking trip

Post by Clubb »

Thanks for the responses! Some great options to think about.
Goonerik
Topix Newbie

Post by Goonerik »

Just wanted to second (or third) the suggestion of Little Lakes Valley. Took my family (daughters 6 and 10 at the time) on their first backpacking trip here and it was perfect. Very little elevation ganin. Although it can be crowded, there is a lot of "bang for your buck" on this hike in my opinion. In the span of about 2 miles you pass by 5 or 6 real nice lakes. Maybe that's why it's so popular. We ended up at Chickenfoot Lake and the crowds thinned out a lot back there.
But as others have said, parking lot/trailhead is at 10,000 so altitude sickness can be an issue.
We came from Phoenix, stayed the night with family in Bishop and then headed up to Little Lakes in the morning. No problems with altitude sickness.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Goonerick,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for taking the time to chime in and helping out a fellow
HST member with you personal experience. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Another gentle alpine area that is good for children and not too far from you is the Grouse Lakes roadless area off Interstate 80 in the Tahoe National Forest. You take the Hwy 20 exit westbound down to Bowman Lakes road and then up that to various signed trailheads on the west side of the roadless area. I think the easiest is the Carr Lake/Feeley Lake trailhead. A short hike of less than 2 miles over a low pass takes you past Feeley Lake to beautiful Island Lake. Side trips to other lakes are possible from there. Since we have a cabin nearby, we regularly hike into this area and the trails are in good condition. Theoretically, since it is not an official wilderness area (maybe someday?), mountain bikes are allowed, but I haven't ever seen any on the trail to Island Lake. We took our kids here more than 25 years ago when the youngest was only 1.5 years old. He walked a bit, but mostly, we carried him. His older sisters (5 and 6.5 at the time) even carried small packs. I do have to warn you that this is a popular area for both day hikers and backpackers, so you won't have solitude.

-Phil
Goshawk
Topix Newbie

Post by Goshawk »

wildhiker wrote:Another gentle alpine area that is good for children and not too far from you is the Grouse Lakes roadless area off Interstate 80 in the Tahoe National Forest. You take the Hwy 20 exit westbound down to Bowman Lakes road and then up that to various signed trailheads on the west side of the roadless area. I think the easiest is the Carr Lake/Feeley Lake trailhead. A short hike of less than 2 miles over a low pass takes you past Feeley Lake to beautiful Island Lake. Side trips to other lakes are possible from there. Since we have a cabin nearby, we regularly hike into this area and the trails are in good condition. Theoretically, since it is not an official wilderness area (maybe someday?), mountain bikes are allowed, but I haven't ever seen any on the trail to Island Lake. We took our kids here more than 25 years ago when the youngest was only 1.5 years old. He walked a bit, but mostly, we carried him. His older sisters (5 and 6.5 at the time) even carried small packs. I do have to warn you that this is a popular area for both day hikers and backpackers, so you won't have solitude.

-Phil
I've gone through same process recently, and I second Bowman Lakes nomination. The main downside where we stayed was cows rumbling with their bells on the other side of the lake at night. But distances are as easy as you want them to be, access is easy (from the Bay Area/NoCal), and elevation manageable.

for trip # 2 a year later if the first one goes well: the Desolation Wilderness near Wrights' Lake is good, although the climb to Grouse Lake was rather daunting for the kids in parts. Twin Lakes is probably better, less steep, although more popular