Duck Pass Mid May

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
kirstinrode
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Duck Pass Mid May

Post by kirstinrode »

Got wilderness permits for mid May for Duck Pass. Curious if anyone has been up there that time of year? Realize there will probably be snow and it’s a low snow year. Will continue to monitor current conditions. Just want to be prepared!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Duck Pass Mid May

Post by schmalz »

I went over the pass on 6/11 last year and there was still a bit of snow on the east side of it.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

There will be snow. Mammoth Mountain, 6 miles away and at a similar elevation, will still be spinning lifts.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Too much snow for Duck Pass in Mid-May for me, because fishing is my main interest.

Texan
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Kirsten, I think it will be beautiful up there! Just take your gaitors, extra socks, mittens, and all that warming stuff. If I can recommend a side trip, it would be to amble up the slope just to the north of Duck Lake for the stunning views of the Minarets and the Ritter Range. It's nice all around up there. That slope is low angle, and faces mostly south. Looking at the maps now, I see that the best views into the Ritter Range are from the ridge to the north of Deer Lakes; that would be ~ 3 miles north from Duck Lake. Not sure if you like to add in long day hikes to your backpacking trips, but if you do, this ridge will be a great vantage point whether snowy or not. Good luck.
Here are a few pics:

100_2451.jpg
View down to Deer Lakes from the ridge. This is just about 1.5 miles due west of Duck Pass.

100_2456.jpg
View NW from up on the ridge toward the Ritter Range. This point is farther north, after hiking back up on the ridge after passing the Deer Lakes.

100_2478.jpg
Still farther north along the same ridge, with Mammoth Mtn, above the red ridge.

100_2472.jpg
Looking east, White Mountain seen in the distance, right of center.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Better camping at Pika Lake on the ridge between the two lakes. The shoreline of Duck Lake is likely to be very soggy.

I really do not know how to relate my July 17 camping at Pika Lake 2019 to this year. 2019 was a very high snow year.
0467_Pika Camp.jpg

You could always give it a try, and if you cannot get up to Duck Lake, the lower lakes below the pass are quite nice too. Before you go, call and make sure the road is open. I think the campground you start from is called Cold Creek. One way to check is to see if the campground will be open- just try to book a campsite and see how early they plan to open. Also look in Inyo Forest web site and find the campground web page- they usually say when it normally opens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kirstinrode
Topix Novice

Post by kirstinrode »

Thank you! Yes we are! I plan on calling a ranger in the next few days to find out how its looking and the range of where we can camp with our wilderness permit. Was planning on Pika Lake area but if that isnt ideal was thinking of a lower spot. Will be out there Thurs-Sun. I wanted to check out Deer Lakes too. These pics are wonderful. I need to get a Harrison map for this area and start plotting. Thank you for sharing :)

Harlen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:00 am Kirsten, I think it will be beautiful up there! Just take your gaitors, extra socks, mittens, and all that warming stuff. If I can recommend a side trip, it would be to amble up the slope just to the north of Duck Lake for the stunning views of the Minarets and the Ritter Range. It's nice all around up there. That slope is low angle, and faces mostly south. Looking at the maps now, I see that the best views into the Ritter Range are from the ridge to the north of Deer Lakes; that would be ~ 3 miles north from Duck Lake. Not sure if you like to add in long day hikes to your backpacking trips, but if you do, this ridge will be a great vantage point whether snowy or not. Good luck.
Here are a few pics:

100_2451.jpg View down to Deer Lakes from the ridge. This is just about 1.5 miles due west of Duck Pass.

100_2456.jpg View NW from up on the ridge toward the Ritter Range. This point is farther north, after hiking back up on the ridge after passing the Deer Lakes.

100_2478.jpg Still farther north along the same ridge, with Mammoth Mtn, above the red ridge.

100_2472.jpg Looking east, White Mountain seen in the distance, right of center.
kirstinrode
Topix Novice

Post by kirstinrode »

Thanks! Yes that is the plan lower lakes if not Pika Lake. The Campgrounds will not be open yet. I will be calling a ranger in the next few days to find out about the roads. Thank you for the photo! Looks awesome :)
Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:34 am Better camping at Pika Lake on the ridge between the two lakes. The shoreline of Duck Lake is likely to be very soggy.

I really do not know how to relate my July 17 camping at Pika Lake 2019 to this year. 2019 was a very high snow year.

0467_Pika Camp.jpg

You could always give it a try, and if you cannot get up to Duck Lake, the lower lakes below the pass are quite nice too. Before you go, call and make sure the road is open. I think the campground you start from is called Cold Creek. One way to check is to see if the campground will be open- just try to book a campsite and see how early they plan to open. Also look in Inyo Forest web site and find the campground web page- they usually say when it normally opens.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

From today...
20210425_220434.jpg
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.