Backcountry Cleanliness

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Cleanliness

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well I thought I should say that because of course it was a bit asinine coming into this thread that is already several pages long and say I use a kitchen sink lol. I didn't mean to be so repetitive.

I don't think my gear needs a mule either. generally even with things I bring that are admittedly excessive my base weight still comes in around 16 pounds or so and that is with everything. A weekend trip would be far less.

Just post a random trail report on any trip I have done to prove I have done something? That sounds a bit strange to me but if you like I wrote a trail report for my hike last year of 71 days and it has photos with it although not nearly as many as I would like because it took me 5 months to finish editing the photos. The thread started before I left though.

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... e#Post5464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for spinning this thread off topic as it wasn't my intention.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Cleanliness

Post by erutan »

I'll sometimes go a trip without any real effort at cleaning up, but if there's a not-too-cold lake with a nice jump I'll jump in and then swim frantically back to shore. I wear loose capiline long sleeve shirts and quick dry pants (and usually proper mid-top boots since an ankle injury) so that helps with general dust/grime. The best is when you find a shallow pond of clear water trapped up in the alpine in the afternoon. :)

I'll usually swap wool socks every other day, and take a moment or two to unlace my boots and air out feet & socks during breaks in the day to dry things out. I'll clean my thin liner socks regularly in the evening, but usually don't bother with my wool ones.

Individually wrapped wet wipes are my way of dealing with fish cleaning hands, tearing one in half usually works well enough.

re: kitchen sink, I'm assuming it's along the lines of https://seatosummitusa.com/products/kitchen-sink and not made of porcelain.