HST Community      Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass

Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass | High Sierra Topix  

Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.

Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass

Postby Mikem93117 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Does anyone have experience with the section of the Pacific Crest trail as it goes through Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass/ Glacier Point? In other words elevations/ distance and days to complete?
Thank you for your reply

Mikem93117
Topix Newbie

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mamoth Lakes to Badger Pass

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 pm

https://www.pctmap.net/2015/03/check-out-the-new-elevation-profiles/

As for days to complete, that is wholly dependent upon how many miles per day you actually do. No idea what you are able to do currently nor what you would be able to do after being on the trail for a couple weeks -- sometimes that is two different things.

Also, Badger Pass is a long way from the PCT and there are not a whole lotta options -- I suspect you may end up going through via Hemlock Crossing into the Cora Lake/Isberg Pass through Yosemite option.
AlmostThere
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby oldranger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 am

This is a really weird post. Doesn't make sense that a level 3 backpacker would ask such a question as everyone knows that that the pct doesn't go anywhere near Bager Pass or Glacier Point!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Postby Wandering Daisy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 am

Goodness, does anyone actually get out a map and do their own homework anymore?

So here is the kind of question that I will actually answer. Hey guys, I want to go from point A to point B. According to the map it is 30 miles, 5000 feet gain, on what appears to be a good trail. Has anyone actually done it? Is there anything about that trail that would make it harder than it appears? Guidebook xxx says it should take 4 days. Sounds a bit slow to me. What do you think?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Return to Backpacking / Camping 101