Water Conditions - HST?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
blipstream
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Water Conditions - HST?

Post by blipstream »

Heading up next week for a trip across HST, was wondering with all of the NFS postings on drought was there any reports of issues with water access along HST. Plan has us taking HST to Nine Lakes Basin across Pants Pass and over to Crabtree and out.

Thanks!
Jim F
Topix Regular

Re: Water Conditions - HST?

Post by Jim F »

Hi blipstream,

Six days ago (Fri July 19) I hiked from Crescent Meadow up the HST to the Kaweah Gap and then camped in Nine Lakes Basin. Water levels were low and some of the seasonal creeks were dry (such as the ones above the Hamilton Lakes before the tunnel), but I had no particular water problems. The water faucet at the Bearpaw Ranger Station (not open this year) does not work. But there are two nearby working faucets in the campground. There is no water at Crescent Meadow (as usual), so tank up elsewhere before you arrive.

On Sunday July 21 I hiked up the Colby Pass Trail a bit (which I had descended upon the night before from the Kaweah Basin), entered the Kern Kaweah Basin (after passing Picket Guard), crossed Pants Pass, crossed the Nine Lakes Basin, and descended the HST to Bearpaw Meadow. Again there was no problem with obtaining water. In fact, the only water problem was getting caught in the monsoon. Fortunately, the conditions remained warm, as I spent considerable time at Bearpaw dozing on top of a bearbox under my tarp. (I arrived at Bearpaw after nightfall.)

Hope this helps some.

Jim F
blipstream
Topix Novice

Post by blipstream »

Thanks Jim. That's what I was thinking but good to check. We are doing west to east on pants pass and heading do to the kern valley that way
BigE1969
Topix Novice

Post by BigE1969 »

I'll be heading out on the HST on the 25th and will be exiting Whitney Portal. Keep us updated.