April 1st snow survey and snow conditions.

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

April 1st snow survey and snow conditions.

Post by John Dittli »

Hi all

I just came out from Charlotte today, finishing up the April 1 surveys. As you all are familiar with the CDEC site as much as me, I won't bore you with the data. In a nut shell the south (Whitney area) is ~40%, Kings hdwtrs ~50%, San Joaquin ~60%, Tuolumne mid 60's.

The NF Bishop creek road was gated at Aspendel but pretty much snow free to North Lake. The Piute Pass trail was pretty much solid snow from the trailhead though not a lot.

SF Bishop Creek rd was officially closed at Hawbaggers, but drivable past Tyee TH. Trail patchy snow to far end of South Lake then snow covered.

Onion Valley rd officially closed at 7 Pines but snow free and passable to TH. Trail, patchy snow to Little Pothole then solid to Pass. Lots of brush and rock exposed so I could see that trail possibly being almost snow free in a few weeks if we have prevailing sun. Upper south facing slopes of the canyon/Gould completely snow free save a little in the gullies.
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
_MG_1235.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: April 1st snow survey and snow conditions.

Post by maverick »

Thank you very much JD for posting this info! This confirms the reports that were
in the news last week.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Thanks for sharing, just the info I was looking for! It's good to hear from the boots (or skis) on the ground
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Maybe those percentages mean my chances of dying in some death water ford on my first week. I like where the odds are. :unibrow:
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

So I ran some numbers and came up with some interesting data. Again, this is my opinion and doesn't represent that of the State of California, Department Water Resources

While lower elevations are quite dry, most of the upper elevations courses measured significantly higher than last April, a sampling:

Comparing SWE (snow water equivalent) between this year and last year, I have observed the following:

% of last year

Crabtree 100%
Bighorn 168%
Charlotte 128%
Bench 132%
Bear Ridge 125%
Tuolumne 174%
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

So how much longer do you expect a ski tour in the High Sierra to be a reasonable option this season?
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

John Dittli wrote:So I ran some numbers and came up with some interesting data. Again, this is my opinion and doesn't represent that of the State of California, Department Water Resources

While lower elevations are quite dry, most of the upper elevations courses measured significantly higher than last April, a sampling:

Comparing SWE (snow water equivalent) between this year and last year, I have observed the following:

% of last year

Crabtree 100%
Bighorn 168%
Charlotte 128%
Bench 132%
Bear Ridge 125%
Tuolumne 174%
Very interesting, and hopefully a good sign that things won't be quite as dry as we've feared.

Thanks for doing all the hard work and reporting back to us John.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

longri wrote:So how much longer do you expect a ski tour in the High Sierra to be a reasonable option this season?
It kinda depends on where. Last year I did an amazing tour along the Merced Range first week in May when the rest of the southern Sierra was gone. I only had to take off the skis 3 times in 8 days for short sections.

If you stay high you might be ok in the south for a couple more weeks, though I'm thinking the skis will be off on south facing. North of say the Silver Divide, I'm guessing into the second week in May. It all will probably require a certain amount of creativity.

Eastside approaches down south will probably be pretty dry.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Thinking about Tioga to Twin Lakes.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Good choice, and a great tour!