2013 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Wolverton-Hamilton Lakes-Little Five Lakes 5/24-5/28

Post by bheiser1 »

5/24-28, Wolverton->Hamilton Lakes->Kaweah Gap->Little Five Lakes->Black Rock Pass->Bearpaw->Wolverton (est 56 mi). Still lots of water in most sections with just a few small creeks dried up. There was patchy snow through Kaweah Gap, but it was mostly solid in late morning, and had tracks to show the route. The snow cleared after passing thru the gap.

There were a couple easy wet crossings in the valley between there and the ascent to Little Five Lakes. Most of the lakes were clear except the small one at about 10,800 where the trail heads up to Black Rock Pass (that one was mostly frozen except for the edges). The trail between the last two lakes was hidden by snow in places, as was much of the trail up the pass.

Going up the pass was intimidating but doable (I am not a climber) with micro spikes and holding trekking poles low. I wouldn't have done it without these. Part of it involved scrambling over rocky areas to avoid the snow that felt too steep to be safe. I started up at 8am and the snow was solid but softening fast in the sun. Using a GPS to locate the trail and the actual pass helped. Once over the crest the trail reappeared and was snow free for the rest of the way down.

I think I might have seen one mosquito during this 4-night trip. Days were in the mid 50s (sometimes warmer in the sun) and nights ranged from 29-35.

Human contact was very sparse for much of the trip except around Bearpaw and Hamilton Lakes (only one person each day on two of the days).

Watch out for the deer at Hamilton Lakes, they are there in large numbers and like to chew on salty pack belts.

Let me know of any questions on anything I missed here !
Last edited by maverick on Fri May 31, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed Subject
GraceC89
Topix Novice

Southern Yosemite 5/22-5/24

Post by GraceC89 »

Over Memorial Day weekend, I backpacked a route starting at Mono Meadows (off Glacier Point Road). I followed Illouette Creek, went over Merced Pass, passed Johnson / Crescent / Grouse Lake, turned north toward Empire Meadows, crossed Glacier Point Road at the McGurk Meadows trailhead, continued north, and then picked up the Panorama Trail east to Glacier Point (where I got a ride from a nice family back down Glacier Point Road to my car at Mono Meadows).

Conditions were great. Zero snow below 8,000, patchy snow between 8,000 and 9,000, and fairly continuous snow over 9,000 (although I was only over 9,000 for a very brief time around Merced Pass, so my read on those conditions is probably not the best). Snow was very well consolidated and I had no problems with postholing even when crossing Merced Pass at the end of the day. The trail on the north side of Merced Pass, even where there was no snow, was faint at times, but it's easy to figure out where to go (read: up the hill!).

The trail was very wet from snow melt along Johnson / Crescent / Grouse Lake through Empire Meadow; my waterproof shoes served me well. Illouette Creek was a mid-thigh ford for me (I'm 5'7") but not especially fast moving or scary.

FWIW, I loved Southern Yosemite. This was the furthest south I've ever ventured in the park, and I only saw 7 people my entire trip (excluding, of course, my bit on the Panorama Trail / Glacier Point, which were predictably overrun). Views aren't the best because most of my trail traveled through thickly forested areas, but the terrain was gentle compared to the rest of the Sierra, and the lower elevation made for a great early season trip.

Special gear needed - none, although my waterproof shoes were a life saver in the boggy, early season conditions.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2013 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by maverick »

Hi GraceC89,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for posting this conditions report that will help your
fellow members! :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Emigrant Wilderness May 21-June 2.
Crabtree TH to Deer Lake, with day hiking out of Deer Lake.

SNOW:

There was snow in deep shade and north slopes down to the 8400 level.

Hiking from Deer Lake to Buck Lakes there was some snow in the shade at 8600 feet that I used microspikes to cross early in the morning. It was no more than 20% coverage but in some strategic spots.

Hiking from Deer Lake North toward Salt Lick Meadow I encountered 80% snow coverage at 8800 feet, and huge pools of standing water obscuring the trail. It would have been possible to get through, but it wasn't worth the effort to me.

There was snow on the south (north facing) shore of Deer Lake, but it shrank from 70% coverage to 20% coverage of that shore in the three days I was there.

General conclusion: Snow levels serious enough to impede travel in Emigrant are at about 8800 feet and rapidly moving up.

STREAM CROSSINGS:

I waded Lily Creek, Piute Creek, West Fork Cherry Creek and the inlet to Deer Lake from Long Lake. Of these the only remarkable crossing was the West Fork Cherry Creek. It was thigh high and very cold and 50 feet across. It was not that deep for the full distance, and the water was not turbulent so I could see the bottom. When crossing in the afternoon I had no problems. Returning early in the morning my muscles cramped from the cold but I made it across.
IMGP2880-1.jpg
I also checked the stream crossing from the connecting stream between Upper and Lower Buck Lakes. It looked knee deep to me I did not try. Also the same at the outlet of Wood Lake.

In short, Emigrant is well past peak runoff now and crossings are much easier than they were two weeks ago.

TRAILS:

The main trail Crabtree--Camp--Piute--Gem--Deer was in generally good shape with just a few deadfall over it and a number of flooded sections that were not difficult to avoid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Little Lakes Valley - 6/1-6/2

Post by no2haven »

Quick overnight up Little Lakes Valley to Gem Lake. Camped on top of the ridge between Gem and Treasure Lakes. Returned via Treasure Lakes and the use trail to Long Lake.

Trails were clear of snow until the Gem Lake/Morgan Pass split. Morgan Pass visually had snow banks on the switchbanks up, but probably nothing serious. The snow was quite patchy up to the pass level. Gem Lakes are completely thawed and had some small fish surfacing around noon...a guy in a pack raft floating around in the 2nd lake commented he was having good luck with bites.

The lowest Treasure lake still has some ice, but is thawing. The higher ones are mostly ice still. Probably ~75% snow coverage at the lakes and fairly solid coverage continuing above. The Hourglass has a large bare patch showing down the middle but I saw climbing tracks up the left side. The chute down to Long Lake is still mostly snow with some rock hopping. The snow is nicely consolidated over the top half of the chute and around Treasure Lakes making for easy walking. Lower down I was postholing to my knee and hip at ~10am.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Treasure lakes/ Gem lakes 5/31-6/2

Post by Mradford »

Route taken: Regular treasure lakes trail

Difficult section encountered: The entire talus field you climb to get up to treasure lakes once you leave the morgan pass/gem lakes trail is still covered in snow. You can zig zag trying to stay on the rocks that are not covered, but eventually you have to walk on the snow. Also, 3 of the 4 treasure lakes are still mostly frozen.

Special equipment needed/used: Wish I had snow shoes, but NONE.

Possible alternative routes: You could try climbing the rocks on the side of the snowfield but I am not sure if they cliff out or not.
tomba
Topix Regular

Mono Pass, Pioneer Basin, Hopkins & Grinnell Lakes 6/7-6/10

Post by tomba »

Route: Mono Pass, Pioneer Basin, visit Stanford Col, cross Crocker Col, visit Hopkins Pass, Hopkins Creek Basin, small lake west from Lower Hopkins Lake, cross over the ridge to both Grinnell Lakes and their basin, trail out through Mono Pass.

Mono Pass had some unavoidable snow stretches. Easy to cross. The lake on top of the pass has thawed by the time we hiked out.

Upper portions of the three basins had significant areas covered by snow. Uppermost lake of each basin was mostly frozen, but other lakes were ice-free.

N side of Stanford Col looked fine to cross (some snow, of course), although a long talus slog.

NE side of Crocker Col had some snow. The snow was actually easier to climb than surrounding lose talus. We used trekking poles.

Hopkins Pass had cornice and steep snow on north side. I don't know whether it was passable.

McGee Pass has some snow areas to cross, but looks OK.

Looking at Third Recess and Fourth Recess - they had plenty of snow coverage.

All creek crossings were fine.

Mosquitoes were bad in Hopkins Lakes basin (everywhere except Hopkins Pass), and OK in Pioneer Basin and near Grinnell Lakes and Mono Pass. Bad in the valley below Grinnell Lakes.

Click on photos for larger versions.
Ask me for any more info or photos.

Fourth Recess (left) and Third Recess (middle right).
IMG_2151-recesses.jpg
Crocker Col, NE side.
IMG_2201-crocker-col.jpeg
Approach to Crocker Col, NE side. Highest lake in Pioneer Basin in background.
IMG_2209-crocker-col-approach.jpeg
McGee Pass (middle).
IMG_2242-mcgee-pass.jpeg
Hopkins Pass, N side - somewehere here.
IMG_2256-hopkins-pass.jpeg
Upper Hopkins Lake and Grinnell Col (right).
IMG_2258-upper-hopkins-lake-and-grinell-col.jpeg
Red and White Mtn. (top), Grinnell Lakes (upper Little G.Lk. barely visible under ice), Pace Col.
IMG_2308-grinell.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted

6/17/13-6/20/13 Agnew Meadows Loop to Ediza and TI Lake

Post by larroyo33 »

Route taken:

Agnew Meadows to Ediza Lake via the Shadow Creek Trail; Side Trip to Nydiver Lakes; Ediza Lake to Thousand Island Lake via JMT; Thousand Island Lake to Agnew Meadows via PCT/High Trail.

The trail for the main loop was mostly snow free. Some small patches of snow coming down the JMT on the northern side of the pass down to Garnet Lake and the pass down to Thousand Island Lake. All patches either had good boots marks worn into them or a clear path around by rock hoping.

Difficult section encountered:

1. The bridge across Ediza lake's inlet to the legal camping sites is broken, so you must ford the inlet. The easiest place to cross was near where the inlet meets the lake. The water is pretty calm there and about only a foot deep at its deepest section. I used Crocs and a hiking pole to cross. Here is a picture of the broken bridge and where I crossed the inlet on my way out.

Ediza Lake Conditions 1

Ediza Lake Conditions 2

2. There was a large snow field with big sun cups (about 12 inches on average, but in some places as big as 24 inches) at the top of the hill to Nydiver lakes and on the slope going down to the lakes. I crossed it early in the morning when the snow was hard and had no problems. Best route to cross was by climbing the hill, then crossing the snow field from south to north, and then hiking down to the lakes (the snow field was more patchy on the northern part of the hill). Here are some pictures.

Nydiver Lakes Conditions 1

Nydiver Lakes Conditions 2

Special equipment needed/used:

Hiking poles

(Trip Report to come)
Silverfox
Topix Acquainted

Post by Silverfox »

Heading up to same area June 28th with students from my High School Backpacking class, appreciate the info., curious about mosquitos?

Thanks, Silverfox
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted

Post by larroyo33 »

They were pretty bad. Under Maverick's rating system, it was a 3-4 if near the water or snow. The mosquitoes were better at dawn/dusk and when the wind was blowing hard, but if it was the middle of the day and hiking near the water, I basically could not stop for even 5 seconds without getting swarmed.