Pray for rain

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Pray for rain

Post by balzaccom »

Yes, we've had a few storms, and another one or more is on the way. But we really do need a long wet winter this year. Last year was way below normal, and things are just plain dry.

Take a look at this photo of Donnell Reservoir on the Stanislaus River, and you'll see what we mean.

Dean Martin was right. So was Bing Crosby. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pray for rain

Post by rlown »

They're predicting 10" in my neck of the woods (North Bay) over the next few storms. I like the rain, but I like it to come gently over a longer period of time.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Batten down the hatches, and stay safe Russ.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

More snow in the Sierra is acceptable if and only if the following two conditions are met: 1) we get exactly enough snowpack to keep us out of drought conditions for the year, and not one inch more; and 2) every storm bypasses the Bay Area, so it doesn't rain here.

Any deviation from those two conditions is completely unacceptable.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, we only got an inch today. That was enough to expose the weak spots in the ditches (fixed). I hate gophers. Now we wait.. Pray for breaks in the rain pattern. helps with the run-off.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Now that I got a job working for a hydrologist for the winter, the first big gully-washer has fizzled out. But I suspect there will be more rain off and on for the next 3 days. Should be respectable rain and snow fall. I loved that video of the guys skating down Evolution Valley. Its cold enough, but not a lot of snow.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Preliminary estimate based on snow pillows is about 140% of normal to date for December in the Kings River Basin and even better in parts to the north. Good start, but it's still REALLY early. First statewide surveys begin this coming month!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

well.. my ground is completely saturated. It's like someone left a couple hoses on under the hill behind my house.. All ground water/run-off.

I'd be happy now if it targeted the Sierra in the form of snow and left Petaluma alone.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I was hoping for more rain this year; at least average amounts. Which reminds me, I fail to understand these forecasts as they change about as often as one can look out the window. "EC" implies that it's anyone's guess as to the precip amounts. You have to wonder why they bother?