Water sources in Alta Peak Area?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Water sources in Alta Peak Area?

Post by davidsheridan »

Reporting back with some beta that might be useful for some others in future dry years.

I went to Alta Meadow and Alta Peak for 2 nights in August 28 -30, 2020. -

This was Late summer in a very dry year. I was concerned abotu water availability.. Here is what I found.

Merhten Creek was dry where the trail crossed
(it might have been possible that some water could be found if you hiked up and down the creek to find a trickle, but I am not sure)

Reliable springs could be found at these locations:
0.35 miles before you get to the Alta Meadow/ Alta Peak trail junction - There was a bubbling spring right alongside the trail (can't miss it)

.25 past the Alta Meadow / Alta Peak Trail junction - on the Alta Peak trail on the way to the summit. - There is a spring-fed stream that crosses the trail

Alta Meadow had a low-flow stream that barely had a trickle just before you enter the top of the meadow

Alta Meadow - About 2/3 of the way down from the top of the meadow to the bottom of the meadow, a reliable spring crosses the use-trail
Alta Meadow 2020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.