When do you know it's going to rain?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: When do you know it's going to rain?

Post by ndwoods »

Actually that statement is not so wrong....by 10 or noonish, if the cumulus are forming and are sharpedged on the top....that's a pretty good indicator you have rain coming. Cumulus clouds in the morning mean there is a good chance...you just gotta watch em. And if they get sharp edged and growing, that's a rain indicator. If they are fuzzy on the edges, then they are probably not rain clouds...especially at the top. If you see them towering up on the top and then they start blowing over that means the wind is blowing up there and they won't get sharp and form a thunderhead. If they continue to go up and flatten out...that's a thunderhead. And you'll know by then ....laugh....cuz you'll hear them in the distance...
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: When do you know it's going to rain?

Post by Cross Country »

lots of good info here. I've seen it raining a half mile from me coming my way and it never arrived. At other times I've been rained on when one hour earlier I thought there was no chance of rain. There's an old saying about mountain weather. If you don't like the weather, wait a couple of hours. It'll change.