2012 Reliable Water Sources

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2012 Reliable Water Sources

Post by Pietro257 »

7/30 - 8/4/2012: Western Ansel Adams Wilderness: Dry!

I returned two days ago from a 6-day trip in the western Ansel Adams Wilderness (I'll post a trip report soon). It was very dry. All creeks between Isberg trailhead and Hemlock Crossing (the North Fork San Joaquin) were bone-dry or mosquito-infested trickles.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

When I was reserving a permit in Yosemite a ranger that recently visited the area told me that the only water on the trail to Nelson Lake is in the lakes. And the lakes are quite a bit below the average level.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

For those going over Piute Pass: there is NO water trail-side from the last lake east of the pass until the 10,000' contour on the west side where Piute Creek finally comes close to the trail again. All the springs and small creeks coming off Deso basin are dry at the trail.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Most of the creeks crossing the High Trail from Agnew Meadows trailhead in Ansel Adams Wilderness were running fine on Aug 11.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

In John Muir Wilderness, Sierra National Forest, as of 9/16, there is no drinking water on the "trail" between Franklin Pass and Thompson Lake, unless one is willing to filter some small slimy ponds if conditions are dire. This lake seen from hill 9974 seemed to have some usable water. And BTW the "trail" is not there.

Thompson Lake is very low with muddy shores exposed. There is one place to get to shallow water by walking on rocks, or one may wade through an almost knee-deep muck to a rock that is in a bit deeper water.