Mosquitos in the Desolation area?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maytag
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mosquitos in the Desolation area?

Post by maytag »

Doing a loop out of Echo Lakes area this weekend and I am wondering if anyone has any information on the mosquitos? Headed towards the Velmas.

Thanks.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mosquitos in the Desolation area?

Post by kpeter »

I have a similar question and there are no posts in the mosquito reports thread on Desolation since a July 8 post that rated Rockbound Pass a horrible "5". I have to make a decision tomorrow on whether to change/cancel a trip with my daughter over Rockound Pass. If it were just me I would go regardless.

I called the Pollock Pines ranger district this morning and they said that they did not think the mosquitoes were getting any better, especially since they had rain three days ago. My past experience with ranger reports of mosquitoes, however, is that they tend to be way out of date and rather unreliable, but that is the best I have got at this point.

What is everyone's advice on this? Mosquitoes appear to be dying out earlier elsewhere in the Sierras from the other reports, but I am reluctant to risk it if this makes a second miserable experience for my daughter.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mosquitos in the Desolation area?

Post by TahoeJeff »

I was just south of Rockbound pass the 15th-17th at Island Lk. The mosquitos were virtually non-existant mostly 'cause the wind was howling the whole time.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman