Condition report Morgan Pass out of Mosquito Flats

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Baughb
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Condition report Morgan Pass out of Mosquito Flats

Post by Baughb »

Hi,
I'm a level 3 backpacker (according to the list in the info section) and I'm taking a couple of level 1 hikers on an overnighter (or two) to the Gem Lakes area via the Mosquito flat trailhead. Mostly just fly fishing and hanging out during the week of August 6th.

I don't expect to be all alone out there but a recent condition report would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Bob
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Condition report Morgan Pass out of Mosquito Flats

Post by maverick »

Baughb wrote:
I don't expect to be all alone out there but a recent condition report would be greatly appreciated
Welcome to HST! A report from 7/5 reports mosquitoes ranging from 0-2. Snow is
not an issue. Plenty of water is available, and you will have plenty of fellow hikers
and backpackers, especially at the first few lakes. If you go to the far end of the lakes
you can get away from most folks and have some solitude. This especially true with
Hidden Lakes.
Here is someone pictures to the area that will give you an idea of the terrain at the
lakes further back in LLV.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/ ... 06/sierra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Baughb
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Condition report Morgan Pass out of Mosquito Flats

Post by Baughb »

Thanks for the reply and the link!

Bob