Lightening, Heavy Rain, Flash Flood Warnings in the Sierra

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lightening, Heavy Rain, Flash Flood Warnings in the Sierra

Post by cvr »

I had a trip out Bishop planned for last weekend with plans to camp at around 11,500 right below the crest. Because one in our party was a Sierra rookie, we called an audible and changed the trip location to the lakes around Iron Mtn. in the southern Ritter Range. I did not think it would fun for a newbie to potentially get rained/hailed on somewhat vigerously while taking cover from significant lightning. I am not sure how the weather ended up further South, but on Saturday night at Ashley Lake around 9:00 PM and for the next hour + we were up, we watched the most intense and concentrated lightning storm I have seen in some time off in the distance to the NE. It was too far away to hear anything, but the sky lit up every 10 seconds or so as the area continued to get hammered. When we got into Mammoth on Monday, one of the women working the shuttle service told us it was in the White Mtns. It was pretty impressive, but also scary.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Tropical Depression Fabio, or what is left of it is moving up and into the Sierra.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=sgx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
shoenberg3
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by shoenberg3 »

What should I expect for Sat-Sun in the Minarets area?
Partial cloud cover during the am and rain/hail/thunderstorms in the pm?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Just use the many weather links folks posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is showing a slight chance of thunderstorms so most likely you will be fine, just set
up your tent accordingly, and stay off peaks, ridges, or wide open meadows when
there are thunderheads in the vicinity.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org