Lightening, Heavy Rain, Flash Flood Warnings in the Sierra | High Sierra Topix  

Lightening, Heavy Rain, Flash Flood Warnings in the Sierra

Discussion related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.

Lightening, Heavy Rain, Flash Flood Warnings in the Sierra

Postby maverick » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Be careful out there. http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/hnx/
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lightening, Heavy Rain, Flash Flood Warnings in the Sierra

Postby schmalz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Heading out for Circle of Solitude tomorrow. Ooof!

Should be great for photos at least :)
schmalz
Topix Expert

Postby maverick » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Schmalz wrote:
Should be great for photos at least

You got that right, just make sure you really find a good spot to set up your tent
because if you get a lot of H2O at the same time you and your equipment fill be
afloat.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby intrek38 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Headed up to Mammoth next Thursday and over to Fish Creek. I'll be sure to check this link before heading out. But then again, when did any of us let a little rain get in the way. Be safe out there and enjoy....
intrek38
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby hikerchick395 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:02 am

Yeah, the emergency alert system went off several times during the day on both the radio (while in the car) and on TV (at home.) At least I know it works...other than the usual annoying tests.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Postby Herm » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 am

Maverick;
I would imagine you consider the forecast an excellent opportunity. Hopefully you are/were able to get out and find some good photographic subjects. I spent Tuesday through Saturday at June Lake and surrounding areas - did not get any rain, but saw lots of impressive cloud buildups and tear aparts with dry windy conditions.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Herm
Topix Regular

Postby maverick » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Herm,

Yes I do, but cannot get out till next weekend. Hopefully we will get another wave
of that monsoonal flow, without any flash floods that week. [-o<
Have postponed two opportunities to get out because of the lack of any weather, this
time I am going no matter what, and then again in early August.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby rlown » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:04 pm

I must be reading it wrong because it shows nothing until a threat Wednesday or Thursday.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby lambertiana » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:55 pm

I camped at Monarch Lake out of Mineral King on Friday night, and it was cloudy until evening but then cleared up completely at sunset. After it got dark we could see the flashes of lightning to the east, but it was too far away for us to even hear it.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Postby hikerchick395 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 am

Looks like this next week will be a good one...clouds and chance of showers through about next Tuesday. The first clouds are just arriving here now! (Earlier than I thought...I'm going out tomorrow but maybe I shoulda gone today...)

Do be aware...although it is small, a fire on Woods Creek has been churning out some smoke and haze.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Postby cvr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 am

I had a trip out Bishop planned for last weekend with plans to camp at around 11,500 right below the crest. Because one in our party was a Sierra rookie, we called an audible and changed the trip location to the lakes around Iron Mtn. in the southern Ritter Range. I did not think it would fun for a newbie to potentially get rained/hailed on somewhat vigerously while taking cover from significant lightning. I am not sure how the weather ended up further South, but on Saturday night at Ashley Lake around 9:00 PM and for the next hour + we were up, we watched the most intense and concentrated lightning storm I have seen in some time off in the distance to the NE. It was too far away to hear anything, but the sky lit up every 10 seconds or so as the area continued to get hammered. When we got into Mammoth on Monday, one of the women working the shuttle service told us it was in the White Mtns. It was pretty impressive, but also scary.
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Postby maverick » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:05 am

Tropical Depression Fabio, or what is left of it is moving up and into the Sierra.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=sgx

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Next

Return to Conditions Reports and Information