Big Pine Fire (Fish Fire) Effects

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Big Pine Fire (Fish Fire) Effects

Post by maverick »

Luckily the fire is 85% contained, but would like to hear from those who were out
last week and this past weekend whether you were effected by the fire.
Any issues with visibility or breathing? If you were in Dusy, Palisades Basin or any area
out of Bishop did you experience any effects of the fire?

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/08/461686 ... rcent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sierrawave.net/12941/brush-fire-rushes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Big Pine Fire (Fish Fire) Effects

Post by quentinc »

The view from Mt. Williamson yesterday wasn't bad. Not crystal clear, but not smoky.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Not smoky, well that is good to hear Q.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

The wind was blowing from the south so the smoke headed straight up towards Bishop and Chalfant, etc...until a few hours later and the wind switched to SE. Here in Round Valley we got the smell of smoke and, of course, the hairs on the arms stand up. I walked down the road to investigate and couldn't pinpoint the origin of the smoke as it was swirling back on itself. When two tankers flew directly over our home I started to worry, so got on the internet. Hard to find news on the weekend, but finally checked Cal Fire on faceybook. More current news there and the fire was over 30 miles from here. I suppose the two tankers were late comers from Fresno or thereabouts.

(Ironically this coverage is on the local news right now. The fire went into the median on 395 in a few places. The planes were coming from a fire in the Mariposa/Madera county area.)

5 years ago (6 July 2007) a much larger fire caused devastation in the same area...more widespread...which set off the next year's flooding on 12 July 2008.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Our 9-day backpack into the Silver Divide is less than 2 weeks away now. Will start regularly checking the wildlands fire incident page info. All of us really hate making a strenuous effort backpacking into some wonderful High Sierra area using our precious PTO vacation time only to find disgusting smoky skies. And this drought year is particularly scary. Weather forecsts have been saying we here on the West Coast are soon to get some hot weather. Whenever that happens, outdoor morons with matches and unbalanced pyros seem to crawl out of their holes.

http://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

The fire ended up being 1100 acres, not 175 as first reported. My dog and I sat on the closed highway in a 20 mile backup in the heat for 2 1/2 hours, thankfully she just had been swimming up at Toms Place and was really wet. I felt bad for all the vacationers - many I spoke with were foreign - and so many had left Sat to miss the Sun traffic. And some idiot was standing out on the highway smoking a cigar, like we were not already breathing in enough smoke! The fire appears to have stayed out of the mountains, traveling instead parellel to the highway. We are darned lucky not to have the Colorado situation here, it is really dry and all the creeks are low, meadows are barely green everywhere I have been.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

jessegooddog wrote:so many had left Sat to miss the Sun traffic.
We were @ June lake all last week, but had packed up & spent Friday night in Bishop to get a head start back to OC. We left Bishop Sat before 7am, had coffee in Lone Pine before 8am, and got home @ noon. The only traffic we encountered was everyone else going to the beach, so the last 15 minutes were stop-n-go.

My wife & I have had all kinds of travel experiences, some like above where we luck out, and others where we're the suckers stuck in traffic:

Example 1: 6 hours on the I-5 between LA & SF due to some massive fatal crash between an RV and trailer on the Grapevine.

Example 2: 24 hr layover in LAX on the way to France due to some missing part that had to be flown in from Europe.

Example 3: calling ahead @ Heathrow to check on the flight time back home, only to find out it had been pushed back 8 hrs. Show up on time after a fun 'extra' day in London to discover no one else had called, so they had been drinking for 8 hrs in the airport bars. We were the last to board, and since our seats had been assigned, they bumped us up to 1st. LOL

Karma always seems to even out the odds, so now I'm paranoid for the payback I so richly deserve for skating home on Sat. :confused: